Photvoltaic Inspections

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe I am mistaken.
The initial install portion is the mechanical part for structural integrity...not an EIs perview.

When I have inspected the rooftop portion, I generally can see the wiring methods. The only exception to this is the "Tile" type panels, which require an attic inspection.

iwire

Staff member
I am just wondering if any of you have had rough inspection of rooftop systems prior to installing the solar panels.

Nope, I have only had final inspections from the EIs. But IMO nothing was concealed from view, had I concealed work I would have called for a rough. :)

RICK NAPIER

At this point the inspector would be looking for grounding, bonding, combiner boxes, roof penetrations, and conductors that would be covered after panels are in. Not to mention inconvient vents that are sometimes cut.

Last edited:

RICK NAPIER

Yes. State sponsered seminars are calling for rough inspections. There is also a question as to what is required for roof acccess for inspection. Combiner boxes are permitted beneath panels since panels are removable.

Yes. State sponsered seminars are calling for rough inspections. There is also a question as to what is required for roof acccess for inspection. Combiner boxes are permitted beneath panels since panels are removable.

I have had PV installers tell me that no other inspector needs to see the panels if the roof is sloped. I usually tell them I am not an "other inspector". Please have a ladder and personnel there for me, thanks.
I can tell you that I am never happy climbing an extension ladder to see the rooftop portion.

RICK NAPIER

I agree that a ladder projecting 3 feet above the roof and secured at the top should be adequate but some of my associates believe a lift should be provided.

ty

Modules are not easily removeable if in the middle of the field, depending on the layout.
I would not mount a combiner box under any module.

That said, IMO, there is only one inspection needed on most systems.

And, my liability insurance won't cover you if you fall off of a ladder that I provide. Bring your own, or use mine at your own risk, and sign a waiver.

Status
Not open for further replies.