How much for portable generator installation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hurk27

I'm trying to get a ball park figure to install a 30A manual transfer switch and twist-lock generator inlet and provide a 25' power cord?

I think more info will be required as how long of a run, how much work involved, how are you transferring the loads? will there be a sub panel feeding selective loads? as you can't just use a 30 amp transfer switch to transfer a whole panel.

Not often but when we do one of these installs, we use a small transfer type panel and install the circuits in it that they want to power off the generator, each circuit has it's own SPDT switch to load to the generator and the panel has a amp meter so they know before over loading the generator.

the above most times comes out around $550-$700 depending upon how long of a run and cost of panel, how many circuits. but labor and material cost in your area might differ from my location.

A rough break down might be:

30 amp transfer panel with harness $160.00-$250.00
WP inlet with NEMA 30amp twistloc male receptacle with WP cover $95.00-$125.00
40' 10/4 NM cable (if not using a raceway type method) $65.00
two pole 30 amp breaker dependent of the brand and style of panel $30-$125.00
10'-15' 30 amp twist lock generator cord, $75.00-$150.00

Labor 4-6 hours dependent upon the job, and wiring method used , and price dependent upon your rate.

as you can see there is many variables to consider when pricing these kind of jobs but this is a rough draft that can get you in the ball park after you price shop the materials.

Last edited:

blingbling4r

Interlock kits?

Interlock kits?

Do you know of any interlock kits that are UL listed? The one that our supplier showed us at InterlockKit.com does not have the UL listing.

Status
Not open for further replies.