Cords and MC cable in retail lighting

Status
Not open for further replies.

strand16

A company that does retail lighting is using 16/3 cord wired directly from the fixture into a J-box on the ceiling. My position is that this is illegal based on 410.62 (C) (1), and (2), you need to have a cord cap, and also 400.8 (1) you can't use cord as a substitute for building wiring. Installing 16 gauge wire with no cord cap directly on a 20A circuit breaker also comes into the mix, . You can use a properly gauged MC 12/2 w/ground to do this however. I'm having trouble finding the proper sizing for cord when sizing for lights using a cord cap. Could anybody comment with their experience and any other relevant code sections? I rambling along but I think you get the idea. I have a bet on this.
Thanks a lot.

iwire

Staff member
400.7(2) allows cords to supply fixtures without cord caps.

I am having trouble with the 16 AWG unless it is listed fixture accessory or part of the listed fixture.

strand16

Bob
Thanks for the reply, I did see this code section that allows the wiring of lumneaires with cord but I had trouble getting by 410.62 that specificxally state when wiring lumenaires the flexible cord shall have a cord cap or busway plug. Would 400.7 superceed this? Also directly putting 16, or even14 on a 20 breakerdoesn't seem right.

raider1

Staff member
Assuming that the luminaire is an electric discharge luminaire, then 410.62(C) (2)(c) requires the cord to have an attachment plug cap or be part of a luminaire assembly with a strain relief and canopy.

So is the flexible cord part of the luminaire assembly?

Chris

raider1

Staff member
Bob
Thanks for the reply, I did see this code section that allows the wiring of lumneaires with cord but I had trouble getting by 410.62 that specificxally state when wiring lumenaires the flexible cord shall have a cord cap or busway plug. Would 400.7 superceed this? Also directly putting 16, or even14 on a 20 breakerdoesn't seem right.

It is my opinion that 400.7(A)(2) permits flexible cord to be used to supply a luminaire and 410.62 tells us how to use the flexible cord.

Chris

iwire

Staff member
Assuming that the luminaire is an electric discharge luminaire, then 410.62(C) (2)(c) requires the cord to have an attachment plug cap or be part of a luminaire assembly with a strain relief and canopy.

It is my opinion that 400.7(A)(2) permits flexible cord to be used to supply a luminaire and 410.62 tells us how to use the flexible cord.

What wiring method must I use to supply an outdoor HID flood light?:confused:

MHSY400.jpg

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
What wiring method must I use to supply an outdoor HID flood light?:confused:

MHSY400.jpg

Troublemaker! :)
410.62(B) takes care of that for you.

In regard to the OPs question on cord ampacity, would 240.5(A) not cover that ?

Status
Not open for further replies.