What is the proper connector for MC in "Damp location"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Telc

The MC cable and the fittings need to be listed for use in a damp or wet location.(See 330.10(11)

Chris

I guess going for a Wet location connector is the only option I don't know of any rated for damp.

It seems kinda of a waste to use a wet location connector in a 'damp' location when the MC aluminum jacket itself isn't even water tight.

LJSMITH1

Any connector listed for MC will be suitable for any location MC cable is listed for. With the exception of PVC coated MC (TECK), MC cable is listed for dry locations only.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Any connector listed for MC will be suitable for any location MC cable is listed for. With the exception of PVC coated MC (TECK), MC cable is listed for dry locations only.

Can you give me to Code reference to back that, please ?

LJSMITH1

2008 NEC Article 330.10(3) allows MC cable to be used outdoors, however, reading further 330.10(11) states:

In wet locations where any of the following conditions are met:

a. The metallic covering is impervious to moisture
b. A lead sheath or moisture impervious jacket is provided under the metal covering.
c. The insulated conductors under the metallic covering are listed for use in wet locations and a corrosion-resistant jacket is provided over the metallic sheath.

The only moisture-proof MC cable I am aware of is PVC-coated MC cable (TECK) http://www.southwire.com/products/CSATeck90PowerCable.htm

Teck90.gif

Southwire, AFC, Texan, etc. all make this kind of cable. You must also use fittings that are listed for use with this type of cable. Standard MC cable fittings are typically not listed for this cable type or wet-locations.
http://www.bptfittings.com/Catalog/CatalogFamily.aspx?CategoryId=11&FamilyId=128&ShowReturn=true

595-DCI2.jpg

I hope this answers your question.

Status
Not open for further replies.