nassau county liscencing exam

Status
Not open for further replies.

sparky91

Well im sure smarter people than me have tried all that legal stuff.They are just going to say this is our juristiction and this is how we give the test. Its really a no-win situation.....if i cause any waves .....Ill pay for it

sparky91

Oh by the way suffolk county (the other half of long island) is legit....all papers ,documentation,testing,etc is all handled by the suffolk county dept. of consumer affairs. Very fair and honest...Im sure im raising some eyebrows right know with these posts ,because if these people failing me find out who i am, i will definetly NEVER pass, but at this point it doesnt look like it anyway ttyl

westernexplorer

If you don't live in that county and your business in the county where you do have licensing, I would work in that county anyway. Since you don't have a State Electrical Regulatory Board, I would just work in the illegal county, screw them. What are they going to do..? Suspend a county license you don't have..? Your getting all worked up over it, for nothing. Go take the work and laugh at them. I'm not a advocate for illegal contracting, but if the game is rigged as you say, then fight fire with fire...... JMO

nakulak

If you don't live in that county and your business in the county where you do have licensing, I would work in that county anyway. Since you don't have a State Electrical Regulatory Board, I would just work in the illegal county, screw them. What are they going to do..? Suspend a county license you don't have..? Your getting all worked up over it, for nothing. Go take the work and laugh at them. I'm not a advocate for illegal contracting, but if the game is rigged as you say, then fight fire with fire...... JMO

If there is a good solution to the OP's problem, I don't think this is it.

B4T

I took the Oyster Bay test back in 1985 and it was a joke. :mad:

I walked up to get the test and walked back to my seat and started thumbing through the pages.

I looked up at the man in charge and he had a smirk on his face and I knew why.

The test back then was based on "electrical theory and code" with passing at 85%.

The guys sitting on the Board of Examining Electricians" were all contractors and the last thing they wanted was a guy from Suffolk playing in their pool.

I don't know about now, but back then I would need licenses from all (3) Nassau Town and every Village in the county where I wanted to work.

They reciprocated with different towns, BUT you needed to be a resident of Nassau County.

What irks me now is that Suffolk County Electrical Contractors Association never made any attempt that I know of to fix this blatant mis-use of power.

They call them "brothers" but won't challenge what they are doing.

There is no legit reason for one county not to reciprocate with another county when they do it "in house"

A guy from Nassau comes here and takes one test for the whole County of Suffolk.. no "residency restrictions" at all.

I should have the same set of rules :mad:

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I took the Oyster Bay test back in 1985 and it was a joke. :mad:

I walked up to get the test and walked back to my seat and started thumbing through the pages.

I looked up at the man in charge and he had a smirk on his face and I knew why.

The test back then was based on "electrical theory and code" with passing at 85%.

The guys sitting on the Board of Examining Electricians" were all contractors and the last thing they wanted was a guy from Suffolk playing in their pool.

I don't know about now, but back then I would need licenses from all (3) Nassau Town and every Village in the county where I wanted to work.

They reciprocated with different towns, BUT you needed to be a resident of Nassau County.

What irks me now is that Suffolk County Electrical Contractors Association never made any attempt that I know of to fix this blatant mis-use of power.

They call them "brothers" but won't challenge what they are doing.

There is no legit reason for one county not to reciprocate with another county when they do it "in house"

A guy from Nassau comes here and takes one test for the whole County of Suffolk.. no "residency restrictions" at all.

I should have the same set of rules :mad:

This entire process reeks of corruption. Glad I'm across the river where one statewide license is all that's required.:roll:

B4T

This entire process reeks of corruption. Glad I'm across the river where one statewide license is all that's required.:roll:

There was talk of a NYS License being considered, but it went no where :mad:

I have lost lots of work because of this BS.

The whole county is a "Good Ole Boys Club"

sparky91

well now we are getting somewhere .and yes it
is still 85% , to the moderators.....i told you i wasnt the only one . And dont think for one minute that if they find out who i am on this forum that i wont get blacklisted. the last exam i took there , they held my book by the binder, shook it out , to make sure i didnt have any cheat sheet or whatever , and the guy goes
"BOY LOOKS LIKE YOU DONT EVEN USE THIS CODEBOOK" I felt like saying''' yeah because i dont have a liscence idiot''' . And if you call all 3 towns and ask about recipricating liscences ----all 3 give you different answers.And about suffolk county electrical contractors assn. doing something about.....what do they care .....
I wrote a letter to nys attorney general a few months ago and i just sent a letter to one of my senators(wont get me anywhere) unless your taking food off THEIR table. You guys should grateful your state isnt AS corrupt because it is definetly frustrating.
Im sure their are some guys reading this that are actually ON THE BOARD if you are ........dont be shy ............give me a reason why i would have to stick my hand in barrel, feel the wire ,with no markings, and tell you what size,what insulation,and how many strands it has!!!!!!!!! OH i know why , just in case im doing a service at night during a blackout , NOW I GOT IT ........
I'M AN ELECTRICIAN ....NOT A MAGICIAN HAPPY HOLIDAYS

B4T

sparky91.. what about you not being a resident of Nassau County and the different villages.

I was told there are (23) different licenses needed for the whole county.

I won't join the SCECA because they are not really looking out for the members on this issue.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I was told there are (23) different licenses needed for the whole county.

That sounds like a criminal act. How are the people who lived there better served by this licensing program that limits competition? Sounds like a RICO case. Fair competition is part of the capitalist system. Last time I checked that's what we have here in the United States, and yes LI is in the United States.

westernexplorer

I would agree that is what we are suppose to have in a free market, but we don't. Good Old Boys runs the system. They don't like new kids on the block...LOL. Write to your State Legislators and the Governor. George Patacki was a Republican and he was oppose to any new regulatory boards for the construction industry, kinda goes along with that whole deregulation scam...LOL. Now, that he his gone, Gov. Patterson might be open to the idea.... There is always a trade-off with de-regulation and handing power or leaving power in a few peoples hands, they get greedy and don't want to share.....why..? Because they don't have to.....LOL.

sparky91

its like this-------- if you live in nassau and pass any one of the 3 , its reciprical
with the other 2 towns
---------if you live in suffolk you have to take all 3 ,because if you pass 1 its not reciprical.
----------so if are a resident of suffolk county and want to legally
do business in all of nassau , you have to pass all 3 tests.
-----------the thing about 23 licences your probably talking about is every town has a couple of incorporated villages within that town (like a bunch of liitle aholes inside a larger ahole ) not that many ,maybe 5 or so , those incorporated villages actually are like their own little juristiction. You can actually take a test and pass and be allowed to do work in THAT inc village . But im pretty sure that that inc. village would honor the TOWN LISCENCE that is a part of.
iNC VILLAGE usually has its own little village board,its own sanitation,etc , but you also have another TAX to pay. its another level of govt that collects fees....thats all it is.But they should honor their town liscence. AND THEN THERE IS THE VILLAGE OF LONG BEACH........WOW ..........THEY HAVE THEIR OWN LITTLE WORLD ... i heard that they only allow 10 liscenced contractors to do work there

THEY GOT SOME SCAM GOING ON THERE ......
PS still havent got a reply on this post from someone on the board

nyhockey

its like this-------- if you live in nassau and pass any one of the 3 , its reciprical
with the other 2 towns
---------if you live in suffolk you have to take all 3 ,because if you pass 1 its not reciprical.
----------so if are a resident of suffolk county and want to legally
do business in all of nassau , you have to pass all 3 tests.
-----------the thing about 23 licences your probably talking about is every town has a couple of incorporated villages within that town (like a bunch of liitle aholes inside a larger ahole ) not that many ,maybe 5 or so , those incorporated villages actually are like their own little juristiction. You can actually take a test and pass and be allowed to do work in THAT inc village . But im pretty sure that that inc. village would honor the TOWN LISCENCE that is a part of.
iNC VILLAGE usually has its own little village board,its own sanitation,etc , but you also have another TAX to pay. its another level of govt that collects fees....thats all it is.But they should honor their town liscence. AND THEN THERE IS THE VILLAGE OF LONG BEACH........WOW ..........THEY HAVE THEIR OWN LITTLE WORLD ... i heard that they only allow 10 liscenced contractors to do work there

THEY GOT SOME SCAM GOING ON THERE ......
PS still havent got a reply on this post from someone on the board

Long Beach is a little worse it is a CITY. ?????? I think so is Port Washington

sparky90

Follow up with your district attorney again. Maybe even another attorney that might do the work "pro bono" for the publicity. Also get in touch with an editor from your local area paper(news day i think) and explain it to them. Nothing works better than some publicity brought to an unfair situation. But just so you know, you might never get the license,but others that follow you will benefit from your martyrdom. I think the time for this nonsense is over,just like the"Sopranos".

sparky91

never spoke to a newspaper or a news channel ,but a very good idea. and YES i wouldnt mind NOT getting a liscence so other behind me would be treated fairly ...THANKS FOR THE INPUT

Status
Not open for further replies.