Help Determining Classification for Fuel Site

Status
Not open for further replies.

pduarte69

OK, I been googling,searching and doing my due diligence over this question.
What is the Classification for Fuel Site with both Unleaded and Diesel Fuel.
My research leads me to conlude its Class I, Div 2. Is this correct?

The Fuel Site is an above ground Storage tank with 1000 gallons of fuel for each type. The tank is one unit with two separate holding Cells. The Fuel pumps are appoximately 6' away from the tank.

The confusion with it all is that Diesel alone does not qualify it as a Class I Hazardous Location.

Sorry to post something so simple to many of you, However, The Classification parameters are not that clear to me?

thank you in advance for all the help.

ohrick

The inspecter will require you treat it the same. The diesel side could be made to handle gasoline with no modification to the system. Are you running suction dispensers?? We ussually put a submersable pump in the tank and pipe it to a dispensing unit. It is much quieter and faster. We always seal off at the submersable pump, dispenser, where it leaves the classified location, and the trough. Make sure you have a clearly marked E-stop button between 20-100 feet away and you should have no problems.

kwired

Electron manager
the fact that you have gasoline creates a classified area, anything within the classified area whether part of the gasoline dispenser or not must be wired in accordance with the hazardous location. the diesel tank could be part of the same assembly but if it is large enough to put electrical components outside the area (not sure how large this is off top of my head) classified by the gasoline it may not be classified at all.

Last edited:

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
Deisel doesn't usually create a hazardous location unless it is stored or handled above its flashpoint; but ohrick and kwired's point are well taken. With the combined storage, it is prudent to simply treat the tank as a single potential Class I source. However, the piping fill and dispensing arrangement may alter that slightly.

These installations fall under both Articles 514 and 515 with regard to the dispensing system and storage system respectively. (Art 514 doesn't address above ground storage) Also note both NFPA 30 and 30A need to be reviewed for additional direction on other required installation features such a retaining dikes or holding basins.

Both Articles 514 and 515 have wiring requirements in addition to those in Art 501.

pduarte69

Thank you all for the explanation and Merry Christmas

Thank you all for the explanation and Merry Christmas

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.:)

hazloc2002

Classification for Fuel Site

Classification for Fuel Site

It is important to say that in some countries, diesel is not "pure". As example, in Brazil they add some gasoline to urban use diesel, and due to this procedure, urban diesel is considered flammable. On the other side, Brazilian marine diesel is not mixed with gasoline, and so, it is considered combustible.

Status
Not open for further replies.