Generator ratings

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lyle A

I am currently working in Afghanistan doing electrical assessments on certain installations. Most of the grid power distribution here in Kabul is garbage and people run on generators in many cases. We are finding generators with UK voltage ratings of 415/240. The normal voltage here is 380/220. We are measuring 385 on the average from these units. None of them indicate a variable adjustment. The loads are not enough to cause that significant of a drop. The larger generators we encounter have 380/220 nameplates but these smaller ones differ from that. Any ideas? I'm thinking they are adjustable and don't list that fact but my partner has other opinions.

Besoeker

I am currently working in Afghanistan doing electrical assessments on certain installations. Most of the grid power distribution here in Kabul is garbage and people run on generators in many cases. We are finding generators with UK voltage ratings of 415/240.
The UK standard has been 400/230 at 50Hz for some time now.

dbuckley

I also thought 380/220 was most of Europe
Europe now has whats widely called (though not officially) the Eurovolt, which mandates that the supply voltage is 230 +10% -6%.

So if you're in a country that actually supplies 220, then you're compliant.

If you're in a country that supplies 240, well you're compliant too.

European regulation at its finest :)

Besoeker

how long is some time?
I also thought 380/220 was most of Europe
So-called "harmonisation" made the EU officially 400/230V some years ago.
UK was 415/240 and other European countries were 380/220.
Not a lot actually changed. Other than tolerance limits.
Another EU farce.....

Status
Not open for further replies.