multi unit service

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Guys. I have question pertaining to a service that I'm going to be installing. It's an old 4 unit apt. building 60amp disco on each apt. I'd like to at least upgrade to 100amp ea. I'm having problems determining the total size of the service for the 4 units? Is it legal to tap into the feeders with smaller gauge wire to feed 100 amp meter base? Thanks.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
You can. The three most common methods here are (a) a "modular meter center" with 4 meters & breakers in one unit, (b) a 4 gang meterbase with detached disconnects (spacing can be a problem), or (c) a wireway with 4 meters & disconnects

480sparky

You can. The three most common methods here are (a) a "modular meter center" with 4 meters & breakers in one unit, .........

meterstack2.jpg

...........or (c) a wireway with 4 meters & disconnects

DSC_1062a.jpg

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
480sparky, Thanks much for the pics...
as the saying goes...."worth a thousand words"

The individual loads on the feeders in the wireway post must be minimal :)

480sparky

480sparky, Thanks much for the pics...
as the saying goes...."worth a thousand words"

I threw those up because I knew I had them on my Photobucket page.

The individual loads on the feeders in the wireway post must be minimal :)

It's an old 10-unit apartment building. Gas stove in each units, central heat & hot water, no AC.

I took that image because the owners were wanting to abandon the old boiler and install baseboard heat in all the units. There was only 3 120v circuits going to each unit.

You can see the original 60a service conduits above the existing 200a (yes, only 200) disco on the right. I calculated an 800a service, (because by local codes, I would have to update all the units with bath & SABCs, AFCIs, TRs......) and by the time I got halfway through pricing the job, they decided not to proceed. :mad:

mark32

480, I too thank you for the pics. Concerning the basement shot, how are the feeders going to the individual disconnects tapped off the main feed? Split bolts? There must be a mess of them in that trough no? Also, is there a lug installed in the trough for the grounded conductor?

I'll probably go with wireway, 4 meters and disc. I calculated the total load for 4 units at 280amp. Is it permissible to use 200 amp service and 100amp meter base and breaker on each unit? Please explain. Do I downsize wire in troth to ea.meter? Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.