rjh66

Status
Not open for further replies.

rjh66

I want to run 4/3 romex for a short portion if its Total run on the surface in a garage. It needs to be protected for the 4 feet that will be on the surface of the sheetrock. I am thinking, 1 1/4" steel flex with jakes and insulated nylon bushing at each end.

I am wondering should I bond the flex as it might be considered part of the electrical assembly? I don't think my AHJ will buy PVC as an alternative.

raider1

Staff member
Steel flex is not typically approved for use to protect NM cable from physical damage.

I agree with using Schedule 80 PVC conduit.

Chris

I am not sure where the NM cable is being installed, other than on the surface for a short distance. Who says the location on the surface is subject to physical damage? How much damage? I guess that sheetrock must be some mighty powerful sheetrock, since it can stand up to the abuse of physical damage...;)

Just because NM cable, or any other cable is installed on the surface, does not in itself mean it is subject to physical damage...although it is a subjective call by the inspector.

nolabama

I am not sure where the NM cable is being installed, other than on the surface for a short distance. Who says the location on the surface is subject to physical damage? How much damage? I guess that sheetrock must be some mighty powerful sheetrock, since it can stand up to the abuse of physical damage...;)

Just because NM cable, or any other cable is installed on the surface, does not in itself mean it is subject to physical damage...although it is a subjective call by the inspector.

I have been told that above 8 feet is not subject to damage. That is a subjective answer although.

electricmanscott

I agree with that 100%. I think many guys just hear exposed romex and think danger.

I never use sched 80 as a sleeve from something like this although I guess you would have to to be legal. By that same thinking you would have to use sched 80 for almost all pvc installations as sched 40 can't be used where subject to physical damage.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
I agree with that 100%. I think many guys just hear exposed romex and think danger.

I never use sched 80 as a sleeve from something like this although I guess you would have to to be legal. By that same thinking you would have to use sched 80 for almost all pvc installations as sched 40 can't be used where subject to physical damage.

do you think flex offers more protection than Sch 80 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.