California Three Way

Status
Not open for further replies.

2pole20

California Three Way

I?m not working as much as I used too. So I have chosen to spend time with family because I never saw anybody when I was busy six days a week for years on end.

So I?m talking to the carpenter in the family and some how we get to talking about the California style of doing things.

California Three Way Switches.

Question 1.
Can somebody please draw (not write) how this works.

Question 2.
What other name/names does this kinda switching set-up go by? In other words what do you call it in your neck of the woods?

I know that they frame walls differently in Cali. Something about the studs are farther apart. I was told that arches are also framed differently as apposed to back East (I don?t know the first thing about working with boards or wood).

Question 3
What else building wise is done in the California fashion? And how did they decide to call it a California style, why not left handed or back wards?..Everything in the Electrical business is last name Wheaton, Edison, Volt, Watt, Klein, Westinghouse, and Joule. How is it that the backwards 3way gets named after California? Why not fast Eddies 3way. Do other trades have the California style of doing things? Can I file my taxes in the ?California? fashion? Or do they have ?California? accounting methods?

Thanks

On a side note I?m not picking on people from California at all, I just find it interesting that the electrical industry was established on a last name inventions. Is there anything else named after states? Like Nebraska style Feeders? I know that Chicago has had pipe benders and pneumatic tools. Milwaukee has had power tools. Detroit was the Diesel. But those are Cities where the product was made. How did we get to naming electrical systems/components after a state?

Thanks again

480sparky

Calif3wayanim.gif

Other names: Illinois, Carter, Farmer, Michican, Power-Beyond, Handyman.

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Consultant, Electrical Engineer
There's even a two wire version of the four wire California threeway.

TwoWireTravellingBus3Way.jpg

I have a couple of questions. What would you use this for? Also is the hot/hot for off legal? Wait if you are using a romex you would be switching the color. So black would be common sometimes and the hot would be white somtimes. Right? I was looking at 480sparky's drawing when I asked.

Last edited:

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Consultant, Electrical Engineer

e57

Question 1.
Can somebody please draw (not write) how this works.
I think you have enough of those...
Question 2.
What other name/names does this kinda switching set-up go by? In other words what do you call it in your neck of the woods?
It has many names - including "Code Violation".... Otherwise - It goes by whatever name of town or state that is hated locally... In SF it is called a "Hollywood 3-way" - I assume it it might be called an "SF 3-way" by those in southern CA????
I know that they frame walls differently in Cali. Something about the studs are farther apart. I was told that arches are also framed differently as apposed to back East (I don’t know the first thing about working with boards or wood).

Question 3
What else building wise is done in the California fashion? And how did they decide to call it a California style, why not left handed or back wards…..Everything in the Electrical business is last name Wheaton, Edison, Volt, Watt, Klein, Westinghouse, and Joule. How is it that the backwards 3way gets named after California? Why not fast Eddies 3way. Do other trades have the California style of doing things? Can I file my taxes in the “California” fashion? Or do they have “California” accounting methods?
This is just my take on it - based in no facts that I can point to...

There was a huge building boom through both halves before and after WW2. And during them there were a huge number of transient builders coming to California - developing huge areas of land - then returning to whence they came... While they were here they came across other ways of doing things, or modified practices that they were not used to doing back 'home'.... And then the practice gets called the "California (whatever)" once the dumb Oki gets back to his farm.... :roll:

Things like this happen... Whether better or worse - it gets a name - and it sticks - kinda...

california_corner.jpg

Thanks

On a side note I’m not picking on people from California at all, I just find it interesting that the electrical industry was established on a last name inventions. Is there anything else named after states? Like Nebraska style Feeders? I know that Chicago has had pipe benders and pneumatic tools. Milwaukee has had power tools. Detroit was the Diesel. But those are Cities where the product was made. How did we get to naming electrical systems/components after a state?

Thanks again
IMO there are many more "manufacturer" names that become common terms for products - like Madison's, Mineralacs, Buchanan's....

IMO neither Chicago or Milwaukee have a lock on anything... And on a side note - Diesel was a German and there were times... Like the shaft driven motorcycle that German ideas were shunned. Like before during and after the two world wars... Diesel engines were scoffed at in WW1, and the shaft driven motorcycle in WW2. Even the hydrogen filled Hindenburg was due to a boycott of helium sales to Germany, not particularly a choice - but the idea is considered German and even though it had many benefits it has tarnished the very element of Hydrogen forever....

480sparky

I have a couple of questions. What would you use this for? Also is the hot/hot for off legal? Wait if you are using a romex you would be switching the color. So black would be common sometimes and the hot would be white somtimes. Right? I was looking at 480sparky's drawing when I asked.

It's used when some DIYer wants to run only 3 conductors between the house and garage, have a 3-way between the two for a light, and still have power in the garage at all times for the operator.

It's as illegal as they get.

Status
Not open for further replies.