new code cycles

Status
Not open for further replies.
NYS may be a different situation than other states.

There are portions of the newer codes that NYS does not accept, such as the permission to use loadcenters with more than 42 ckts.

It is best to get the advice of someone who really knows how to apply the specific changes in the different code cycles for the jurisdictions one is working in.
In NYS, the best people to speak to are the State Officials in Albany. Even some of the Regional Directors of the state are unsure how to apply the electrical portion to the codes. I have had many, and long conversations with Albany, it can be frustrating.

Ed, just to let you know, I will stick my neck out and say the NYS is about to adopt the 2010 STATE CODE CYCLE. In this document, it looks very promising that they will apply the 2008 NEC for both residential and all other installations. Finally back to one electrical code reference in the State.

(P.S. - I have been spot on in the last two State Code Cycles...hopefully my source is still dead on;) )

powerslave

The NEC is nothing unless adopted by the governing body/AHJ. For an example, if the local code states that they have adopted the 2005 NEC then most likely you must use it and not any other code. Of course, like always, it is up to the discretion of your AHJ.

ceb58

The NEC is nothing unless adopted by the governing body/AHJ. For an example, if the local code states that they have adopted the 2005 NEC then most likely you must use it and not any other code. Of course, like always, it is up to the discretion of your AHJ.

I disagree with your statement as to the OP's question. If he were working under the 2005 code and he decided to install all TR recp. as requried by 2008 then so what. He has gone above what code requires. Same with AFCI's if he AFCI'ed per 2008 instead of 2005. Now if he were biding a job and going to use 2008 verses someone who could use 2005 then it would be a problem.

RICK NAPIER

You are bound by the code amended and adopted by the appropriate governing body. You can go beyound those requirements but you cannot transgress them.

mike107

In our jurisdiction it has been allowed to follow 2008 code before it was officially adopted by the State but you can not "pick and choose" parts of each code cycle. All or nothing.

480sparky

In our jurisdiction it has been allowed to follow 2008 code before it was officially adopted by the State but you can not "pick and choose" parts of each code cycle. All or nothing.

So let's say you're still on the '05, and you wire a dwelling. If you install TR receps, you must install AFCIs as well?

jaylectricity

Occupation
licensed journeyman electrician

So let's say you're still on the '05, and you wire a dwelling. If you install TR receps, you must install AFCIs as well?

That sounds silly. The adopted code is the minimum that needs to be done. If you go above that and it actually satisfies the new code it doesn't mean you are picking and choosing from the new code. In fact it has nothing to do with the new code other than the fact that your above and beyond method happens to be adopted in the new code.

Can I say new code again? That was fun.

/new code

480sparky

That makes no sense to me.

So I fail an inspection because I choose to go beyond the code and install a bond for the pool water. :confused:

Chris

Sounds like if you ever go there, and the speed limit is 55, you'd better drive 55. Not 54. Not 53. Fifty five.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
If he were working under the 2005 code and he decided to install all TR recp. as requried by 2008 then so what. He has gone above what code requires. Same with AFCI's if he AFCI'ed per 2008 instead of 2005.
The flaw with that argument is that those things are not prohibited in the '05.

A better example would be splicing service conductors. There, you could not use the later code before it's adopted.

LarryFine

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Good point. "Yeah, this circuit was installed per the '08, that one per the '05, and that other one per the '96." :roll:

LarryFine

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
That makes no sense to me.

So I fail an inspection because I choose to go beyond the code and install a bond for the pool water. :confused:
I would think it would only fail if you were using that in lieu of something else required.

If water bonding isn't prohibited, what article is he citing for the failure?

Status
Not open for further replies.