Learn the NEC with Mike Holt now!

Butt splices

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

76nemo

Sorry......

Sorry......

I know this is not an NEC issue with previously installed equipment, but I would still like to see some opinions. I worked with a fella today on a rewire of a DC motor in real need of rework, the bill was just for a rewire. He was going to/wanted to butt splice.

The motor was also cheesly mounted by maintenance crew on a sorry frame. It vibrated pretty well at medium speeds.

ohmhead

Well heres the way in the small motors peckerhead you must make a connection we use a red scotchlock and tape it .

Thats kinda standard in the trade .

Meaning what ever comes on that motor from the factory we match it !
Meaning we dont ever cut off a factory tap or connection !

If the job specs call out mechanical connections or the motor comes with factory crimped on motor leads we use the same we purchase eye crimps and use a highpress crimping tool then we bolt and nut them together and tape .

The bolts and nuts and lockwashers are brass .

We tape with scotchcoat 2 layers we tape with 3 m 3 layers we make sure that when cover gos on the wires or taps do not touch any sides of peckerhead so vibration is not a problem .

The more tape you put on the better and we only use stranded cu wire in a motor or in a crimp or scotchlock when doing motors.

But thats just my way .

MERRY XMAS

cschmid

I wont answer question as It is incomplete..butt splices have there place..on a motor I use wire nuts on that size. but it does depend on situation..If I needed to use set screw nut then I would, If I need to splice on ring terminal I would and on smaller ones I use a mechanical crimper, larger ones hydraulic crimper. When bolt is involved I use glass cloth tape and mastic pad and 3 to 4 layers of tape. depends on situation. Tape on smaller wire nut seems a waste to me as it really serves no purpose. But if vibration is the real issue I would crimp on rings and bolt..but would I use a butt splice on motor no? Yet I would depend on a properly made butt splice in the correct situation.

rt66electric

butt splice in wire way??

butt splice in wire way??

As long as the discussion is butt splices.
A Panel change-out...
480v 100 amp panel top-fed then (6) 3-phase 30 amp loads going out the bottom to a 4X4 wire-way gutter (fairly full of assorted 220/480 mixed wiring)
My fellow jouney man insisted on using the standard yellow stak-on to splice longer wire to make it to the new breakers.
His reasoning was to decrease the fill of the gutter?

GOOD or BAD ???? HACK or NOT?????

76nemo

Okay, I reread what I wrote and I guess I should of left out the story on the motor rewire because there's more to it. The peckerhead is actually gone off the motor, been that way for years. It's a vertically mounted motor and the leads just protrude from the side of it. Wish I could take a picture. The leads to be attached would hang about two foot until they loop back into another jig on the machine.

I know we could of drilled out a jbox and used it as a peckerhead, but production was down. It'd been butt spliced for a couple of years and so he was going to put it back that way.

Too much to explain, forget that whole story. Just forget it, sorry.

How about flying splices in machinery with a good length to them? Do you fella's really like butt splicing?

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
His reasoning was to decrease the fill of the gutter?

GOOD or BAD ???? HACK or NOT?????
Let's start with, "True; less space than wirenuts." Then, "Would wirenuts really encroach on fill?" Finally, "Well made, they're as good as wirenuts."

So, I vote for Good and Not. Maybe unnecessary overkill, but acceptable to me on stranded conductors. We don't panic when we see StaKons, do we?

ATSman

ATSman
Occupation
Electrical Engineer/ Electrical Testing & Controls
Crimping Tool

Crimping Tool

On #10 and smaller I use one of these. In my opinion it is the best tool on the market for sta-kons.

http://www.mygreenlee.com/GreenleeD...=showGreenleeProductTemplate&upc_number=45504

I have done a lot of contol wiring in my 39 years and IMO the best tool for
terminals and butt splices:

http://www.panduit.com/Support/Search/index.htm?Nu=P_RollupKey&Text=CT-1550&Filter=P_ItemCode

Notice the extra long handles for increased leverage. Not cheap, though;)

TT

cschmid

Okay, I reread what I wrote and I guess I should of left out the story on the motor rewire because there's more to it. The peckerhead is actually gone off the motor, been that way for years. It's a vertically mounted motor and the leads just protrude from the side of it. Wish I could take a picture. The leads to be attached would hang about two foot until they loop back into another jig on the machine.

I know we could of drilled out a jbox and used it as a peckerhead, but production was down. It'd been butt spliced for a couple of years and so he was going to put it back that way.

Too much to explain, forget that whole story. Just forget it, sorry.

How about flying splices in machinery with a good length to them? Do you fella's really like butt splicing?

LOL Merry Christmas

K2500

I actually know how to do those.

I don't know if it would be suitable for the OP's application, but it's great for landline telegraph wire.

I would also think that the method would be insufficient for stranded wire.

I cant say I've actually seen a telegraph wire, but if i do, does the western union require soldering?

jmellc

Occupation
Facility Maintenance Tech. Licensed Electrician
Stakon Pliers or Splice Blocks

Stakon Pliers or Splice Blocks

I've seldom had problems with butt splicing. I like insulated crimp style, use with Stakon pliers. Have also used bare metal butt splicing sleeves and either taped or apply heat shrink tubing. I also like the short bare brass crimp sleeves. They can butt or go side by side. Good type heat shrink or tape will make them very safe and secure.

For larger wire, I like the inline splice blocks with insulating coating and either allen screws or slotted. Can get them inline, side by side, 2 or more terminals, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.