Compression connection

Status
Not open for further replies.

boboelectric

C'mon boys! Sounds like a short #4 gec that needs a compression connector to lenghten it. Must of tried to use a burndy(SPLIT BOLT),but got caught by the inspector.

Last edited:

rbwsparky

Sorry for the slow response. Lost my internet connection for a while. I have a short #4 and don't want to have an inspector fail me for a split bolt connection. Thanks for the link. My boss frowns on reinspections. #4 is being used as a ground to water pipe. No need for raceway in our area.Thanks again for all the replies!

Last edited:

rexowner

Occupation
Electrician
#4 solid copper ? #4 awg comes in solid ?

I think this is interesting too, because it's not listed in
Chapter 9, Table 8, even if it's used all the time, albeit
for a GEC where the specs in the table aren't generally
a huge question. AFAIK, its existence isn't acknowledged
in the NEC, but I suppose it doesn't have to be, but I could
be wrong.

rbwsparky

If I gave the whole story of this repair, everyone would need to change their pants from laughing. I'll just say it was a handyman service upgrade where the ground wire wasn't quite long enough and an electrician charges too much. By the way this guy relaced a 100amp panel to a 200amp panel for $3000.00

winnie

Occupation
Electric motor research
Oh, have some fun and use an exothermic weld. You can get 'one-shots' that combine the weld material, an ignitor, and a disposable mold all into one package. Not only do you get your irreversible connection, but you also get a fireworks show....

-Jon

rbwsparky

This would be something to see being that the drop ceiling is so dry it crumbles when you look at it funny, plus all the "collectables" in the area of this project

winnie

Occupation
Electric motor research
#4 solid copper ? #4 awg comes in solid ?

Of course it does. Of course you eventually call it rod instead of wire :)

-Jon

(Seriously: there are almost certainly differences in annealing in something called 'wire' and something called 'rod', but some huge wire is out there.)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.