greenfield lighting whips

Status
Not open for further replies.

WorkSafe

I believe you are limited to total of 25' feet.

410.137 (c)

“Wired luminaire (fixture) sections are paired, with a ballast(s) supplying a lamp or lamps in both.. For interconnection between paired
units, it shall be permissible to use metric designator 12 (trade size 3/8) flexible metal conduit in lengths not exceeding 7.5m (25 ft), in
conformance with Article 348.” Luminaire wire operating at line voltage, supplying only the ballast(s) of one of the paired luminaires
shall be permitted in the same raceway as the lamp supply wires of the paired luminaires.

DARUSA

Why would You want to use that method so expensive!
If the piece is long more than 3' ,as long you make a proper support you will be fine.

icefalkon

If the specs don't allow MC, I'd put an RFI in concerning the Greenfield before going any further. It sounds like they're expecting it done in pipe.

Since MC isn't allowed...(a common thing here in many buildings in NYC)...we often RFI it with the note that the job was not bid out as a "PIPE" job...and to please advise whether GF is acceptable. More often than not it is.

480sparky

I dont think that article pertains to this. But i maybe wrong

I think 'paired luminaries' means there are two fixtures running off of one ballast.

From EPCOs' Website:

Wired luminaire sections are shipped in pairs and marked for use in pairs. Each individual unit includes lamps in odd-numbered quantities (one or three is most common), with the odd lamp in each luminaire supplied by a two-lamp ballast located in one luminaire of the pair. Two-lamp ballasts are more energy efficient than single-lamp or three-lamp ballasts.

icefalkon

Here's another thing...was there anything in the specs saying that you could not use greenfield? Again, Request For Information from the engineer or architect is the way to go to CYA.

btharmy

Request For Information from the engineer or architect is the way to go to CYA.

I agree. It has been my experience that if the specs say that MC is not allowed then flex is usually limited to 6ft or less for fixture whips only. Usually schools, hospitals and labs.

Status
Not open for further replies.