3 Phase Receptacles

Status
Not open for further replies.

tkman

Hey guys. I have a quick code question. We are doing the design for a factory in NYC that will be using many 3 phase sewing machines. These machines are using a nema L15 type receptacle. The fla for these machines is 3.1A. The electrician doing the job is claiming that for three phase machines all circuit breakers most be dedicated and are not allowed to feed multiple receptacles. I have looked through the NEC and could not find anything that says this but was wondering what you guys thought. I heard their is something on this in the old nyc building code but I am not sure. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

raider1

Staff member
Welcome to the forum.:)

There is nothing in the NEC that requires 3 phase receptacles to be installed on an individual branch circuit.

210.23(A)(1) & (2) deals with multiple loads on a 15 or 20 amp branch circuit.

Chris

wawireguy

Next time skippy(your electrician) tells you something like this ask him to send a code reference over to you.

icefalkon

Perhaps the journeyman misunderstood what you wanted to do...or he's just never done this type of installation before.

tkman

Great, thanks for the responses guys. I didnt think their was a requirement for this but it didnt sound that far fetched. We will likely end up doing 5/circuit.

Status
Not open for further replies.