Meter Can Height

Status
Not open for further replies.

raider1

Staff member
The height of the meter socket is set by the local utility.

Here the height is minimum of 4' to the center of the meter and 6' maximum.

Chris

480sparky

The height of the meter socket is set by the local utility.

Here the height is minimum of 4' to the center of the meter and 6' maximum.

Chris

Same here.
On occasion, the meter falls outside of that, and it may fail POCO inspection. But that's because they don't know it's not finished grade yet. So be sure to find out where finished grade will be when all is said and done so you don't have to redo it later on.

rcarroll

What do you do if there's a multi gang stack?;) You're not going to fall in the 4' - 6' realm. I suppose POCO has to take that in consideration. If so, why should they care about narrowing the range for a single meter can?

480sparky

What do you do if there's a multi gang stack?;) You're not going to fall in the 4' - 6' realm. I suppose POCO has to take that in consideration. If so, why should they care about narrowing the range for a single meter can?

Most POCOs wouldn't care anyway because they're all going to remote-read meters. So even if you put the meter 20' up the side of the building, it wouldn't make a whole lot of difference to them. :)

icefalkon

Here in NYC Con Edison has a range of 2'6" lowest to 5' 6" highest point for the meter cans...on center. The meter is the Utility's jurisdiction.

Last edited:

icefalkon

You know it's interesting...most of the time I get questions like...how LOW can I put the meter or panel...and other guys get...how HIGH can I put the meter or panel...

marti smith

Our POCO here actually produces a compilation of what they want in the field and distributes it as requested. This way, there are no gray areas. I do not know about any other areas, but you may call and see if something like this is available.

icefalkon

Yep, here in NYC...there's what's called the Blue Book. The POCO's rules and regulations for installations. That's where you'll find heights, rules for proximity to gas meters, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.