Bought a laser level at the supply house. Got any good uses for it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

zappy

Made by Ideal. It comes with a tripod too. Never seen one before. I figured I could use it for something? Paid about 30 bucks for it. Thought it was a good deal. I'm a sucker for anything with a laser on it.:grin:

Made by Ideal. It comes with a tripod too. Never seen one before. I figured I could use it for something? Paid about 30 bucks for it. Thought it was a good deal. I'm a sucker for anything with a laser on it.:grin:

So your that guy with the laser pen in the movie theatre:D

zappy

Sconces? Hanging pictures? Banging up nail boxes for switches and receptacles?

That's a idea. Hanging boxes so you don't have to go around using your tape and marking the studs. It's a torpedo laser level, so I could use it for conduit installations in some manner.

Article 90.1

$30, I'd check it for accuracy first. We did a job with beam detectors many moons ago (beam type smoke detectors). the spans through the bar joist ceiling were in the 200' range if I remember correctly. We would mount the transmitter on one side of the building and then use the laser to mark the exact location on the far wall where the receiver would be. The only problem is that the "little red dot" on the far side was 4" round by the time it shone all that distance!

I would just check the torpedo level on the tripod against some hard measurements, and a 4' or 8' level, etc. I'm sure it is fine, but you wouldn't want to line up the aforementioned counter top boxes and find out that they are lined up perfectly, but the line sloes down 2" on one wall...

What model is it, for $30 I'm inclined to treat myself to a late, or extremely early Christmas present!

480sparky

If I'm going to waste time setting up a laser to install boxes around a room, I'm going to use a rotary laser instead of a torpedo so it will at least move on it's own.

I can't fathom the amount of time needed fiddling with a tripod to get a torpedo truly level on both planes, then having to move it manually to check or set each box. And most cheap WalMart-bought tripods would not allow this as in order to move the level, you need to loosen the handle that sets it.... so rotating the level could easily put it out of level.

Rotary levels have the ability to adjust them built in, so the tripod head only has to be reasonably level in order to zero the unit in. Then it rotates and would allow me to set/check boxes with no further action on my part.

Ohmy

The sconce light use is not a bad idea.

The only problem I have with levels is I rather have the lights look staight, than be straight. If the floor and the ceiling is crooked, the light or device might as well be also. Its like running pipe along a crooked wall, sometimes you go with the flow.

qcroanoke

Sometimes I don't know if I'm the boxer or the bag
Occupation
Sorta retired........
The sconce light use is not a bad idea.

The only problem I have with levels is I rather have the lights look staight, than be straight. If the floor and the ceiling is crooked, the light or device might as well be also. Its like running pipe along a crooked wall, sometimes you go with the flow.

That's what I do. I go with what looks straight most of the time, not what the level says is straight.

tkb

Why would you buy a tool if you don't have a use for it?

Who do you think you are, an electrician??? :grin:

sparky=t

$30 laser with stand?

$30 laser with stand?

you can not buy a laser at sears for that, rotary?, PLS3, PLS5, Auto leveling?

we use rotary lasers for pendant type fixtures in retail, and warehouse type work, but they are self leveling and accurate and cost about 10.5 x what you paid. 30 dollar laser would be ok in a 12 x 12 room. I am a tool sucker too, and I get my self in trouble when I buy them!! Maybe becuase they are not $30 ;)

dbuckley

I've had one of those bought at a bargain price, sitting in the garage for a few years now, waiting for the right opportunity to come along.

And it finally did last weekend at a community hall install - measured up a load of stuff, marked out on the deck, and then used the laser level with the rotary beam bender attachment to transfer the marks to the ceiling. Saved a load of measuring at height.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I have been using this one for years. Great for running racks of conduit among other things. Just don't drop it. Laser will break after the first fall if the thing is one at the time.

880lrg.jpg

chkindex.html

chkindex.html

jaylectricity

Occupation
licensed journeyman electrician
I bought this for $10:

Ryobi-MultiTASKit-Laser-Level_74603034-Be%20Jane-blue.jpg

I've used it twice and that paid for itself. One of the accessories actually sucks itself onto the wall with a tiny vacuum.

Status
Not open for further replies.