SIS wire can't be used in conduit? Technical reasoning?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ABC789

I've been told SIS wire can't be used in conduit, only "in" switchgear. However, Houston Wire and Cable spec HW051 says UL Type SIS with XLP Insulation is "for use in power and control circuit in swithboards, control panels, AND recognized raceways." So, can it be used in conduit or not? If not, what is the technical justification. Thanks!

ABC789

SIS wire is historically used in 5kV switchgear wiring due to it's flexibility (#14 has 41 strands). THHN/THWN is too stiff for this application.

Last edited:

ABC789

XLP is used as insulation on other wires and cable (e.g. instrumentation cable, TC control cable, MV cable, etc.) which are all approved for use in conduit. So,...does anyone have a technical justification why SIS supposedly can't be used in conduit? Thanks

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
To me, the "technical" justification is that "approved" conductors are listed in 310.13 and in that Table SIS is noted as "For Switchboard Wiring Only"

ABC789

augie47, thank you for reiterating what the code says. However, "for switchboard wiring only" is not a technical justification. If the answer is "no" then I am looking to see if anyone here can offer an insight into the technical justification for this limitation.

ron

I've heard that SIS does not have an outer jacket, so it cannot withstand the pull through raceway .... and it is not listed in 310.13 for applications other than switchboard wiring.

ABC789

Ron, there are other wires that don't have an outer jacket and are approved for conduit. Just looking through HWC catalog here are a few (e.g. XHHW-2,RHW-2, RHH, FEP).

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
augie47, thank you for reiterating what the code says. However, "for switchboard wiring only" is not a technical justification. If the answer is "no" then I am looking to see if anyone here can offer an insight into the technical justification for this limitation.
It's technical enough for me to red tag it :)

You might check these two Southwire links.
One style does actually have an additional XHHW, RHH listing.

http://www.southwire.com/products/SIS127.htm

http://www.southwire.com/ProductCatalog/XTEInterfaceServlet?contentKey=prodcatsheet301

ABC789

Thanks Ron. However, one of the main reasons I want to use this is due to the high stranding (41 strands on a #14, from HWC). It's great AWC dual listed it, but they only have 7 strands on a #14. I am looking for the flexibiliy of a higher strand wire.

broadgage

Perhaps the wire is in fact technicly suitable for installation in conduit, but no one has got around to testing and listing it for that purpose?

Installation in conduit would therefore be safe, but a violation.

Here in the UK we have a type of wire called "tri rated switchgear cable"
This is a single core, multi strand, flexible wire with PVC insulation.
I believe that it is UL listed, and also approved to UK and EU standards, it is mainly used in the manufacture of equipment that may be used in, or exported to, various countries.

I believe that the UL listing only covers use in appliances and equipment, not conduit.

SG-1

Houston Wire and Cable spec HW051 says UL Type SIS with XLP Insulation is "for use in power and control circuit in swithboards, control panels, AND recognized raceways." So, can it be used in conduit or not? If not, what is the technical justification. Thanks!

I am thinking the only raceway for SIS is a wire trough.

Technical justification is the insulation will not fair well through bends in conduit. The Southwire page referenced does not list raceways in the Product Application for standard SIS.

The UL Type SIS/XHHW-2 VW-1 looks like it is good to go for conduit. How flexible it is I do not know.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
. . . Houston Wire and Cable spec HW051 says UL Type SIS with XLP Insulation is "for use in power and control circuit in swithboards, control panels, AND recognized raceways."
So, get them to send you whatever proof your AHJ requires to permit your use of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.