Cutting Slate Tile

Status
Not open for further replies.

czars

Czars
Occupation
Florida Certified Electrical Contractor
I have to install a new service on the side of a house that has slate shingles on the end of gable. I need to cut a 2 1/2" round hole in the slate shingles to provide a hole for the PVC containing the service conductors going into the attic. Does anyone know of a good way to cut the 2 1/2" hole in the slate shingles while minimizing the chances of breaking the shingles?

Occupation
Inspector
I would start with a Tungsten Carbide Grit holesaw and some water to keep it cool while cutting. Don't apply too much pressure while drilling.

Last edited:

cadpoint

Also remember that the covered part of the shingle might well be anywhere from 1/2, 2/3 to twice again the exposed length. So remember the second piece that's below your drill.

I think I'd go Fish on a Plumbers Forum but at least use one of their rubber vent cap on your riser. You will have to allow for it as it supposed to sit under the lip of the shingle above and buy some dark silicon!

PPE for you and your helper too, Safe and Slow ... Let your tools do the work!

480, has show a picture of a long barrel hole bit that'd be great for this situation, after the holes open, other than pum-bob...

Good Luck!

Post some pictures...!

czars

Czars
Occupation
Florida Certified Electrical Contractor
Cutting Slate Tile

Thanks for the help guys. Actually, the service entrance cable is going into the attic from the outside disco to the new service panel in the house.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Thanks for the help guys. Actually, the service entrance cable is going into the attic from the outside disco to the new service panel in the house.
The problem was that you called these conductors service conductors in your original post. They are , in fact, feeders to the sub panel.

Once you hit that main disco that is the end of the service conductors.

Status
Not open for further replies.