What would you do?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am rather new to this contracting business. I get a call last night from a woman who would like me to finish a job someone started and did not finish. Now since im just getting started i could use the work; however, My concern is how do i do this without assuming responsibility for the work this person did?

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
I think you don't. If you finish the job, you own the job, and you are responsible for making sure it is all done correctly. If that requires you to spend a little extra time inspecting what the first person did, or to spend a lot of extra time fixing what the other person did, then the homeowner needs to be aware of these things, and be willing to pay for them.

Welcome to the forum.

nyhockey

I am rather new to this contracting business. I get a call last night from a woman who would like me to finish a job someone started and did not finish. Now since im just getting started i could use the work; however, My concern is how do i do this without assuming responsibility for the work this person did?

How come the other guy didn't finish?
Does the other guy have a permit on this job?
Is this person good for the money?

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
I am rather new to this contracting business. I get a call last night from a woman who would like me to finish a job someone started and did not finish.
That, in and of itself, is not a reason to decline looking at the job. It's a prime opportunity to make a new customer for life.

Just watch your back, go slow, and communicate to the customer, to ensure that you both understand the expectations of the relationship.

The previous party didn't finish for any number of reasons:

1. They didn't know what they were doing, and got in over their head.
2. They didn't have time to finish it.
3. They didn't get paid.

Establish the reason when you visit with the customer, and go from there.

Yeah i am suppose to meet with her tomorrow to look at it. I have many questions to find out before i agree to do this. I agree this is a good chance to gain a long time customer.

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
There is a story my boss told me, that assists us when we start second-guessing ourselves. I found a rendition of it here. Try not to tell the farmer to go stick his jack. Be patient and optimistic, with just a pinch of guardedness. :)

Edit: I didn't realize the link was biblical, I just googled for the story and picked the first one.

Last edited:

bradleyelectric

I always find out who started the job and the customers side of why he didn't finish the job, call the supply house to find out what kind of person the other contractor is, and than call the other contractor to find out what their story is. 2 out of 3 the customer thinks the other person is to much money and just wants to dump them in the middle of the job for someone cheaper and the original contractor doesn't even know the job is ready for trim out. The truth seems to come out once a couple phone calls are placed. I've called the county to find out who has had permits on the job and inspection results that didn't correlate with what the customer said.

Of course I'm on good terms with the county, supply houses and other contractors that know me and speak honestly and directly with contractors I don't know about what is taking place when I have questions about a job they started.

It seems whenever someone else starts a job and then I get a call to finish it never turns out well for me. I make all the phone calls to everyone involved to get to the bottom of what is happening and try to get the original parties back involved to save myself the inevitable screwing. I don't go look at the job without knowing who did what and why first.

I don't do this because I need the work. I've still got the log pile for that. I do this because I need the money. I don't need to get between someone else and their money though.

If you finish the job it's your responsibility. The other guy is off the hook because he never hooked it up and you've got the last check.

Last edited:

Ohmy

We charge an inspection fee that is well above our trip charge for situations like this. This weeds out folks that didn't pay there last contactor and allows us to spend the time necessary figure out the project and the cost to finish. As long as the customer is willing to pay for the inspection and is open about the situation, we have not problem taking over projects.

dduffee260

You could always find out who the other guy was that started the work, and call him.

My thoughts exactly. He or she may have quit for lack of payment. He or she may not even know the person is looking for someone else to finish. Communicate with both parties, get your facts and have a good plan if you decide to finish.

tshea

We get those once in a while. Charge an inspection fee, spend some time looking the job over, then write an estimate.

Non-customer called said the inspector said to take down the drywall unless an EC would sign off on it. He was not happy when I said the same thing. I cannot own this job unless I see inside the walls!

He showed me another room that did not yet have the drywall up. I said I NEED to see inside the first wall.

Flying splices in walls are not allowed yet are they?

Thanks to everyone who posted, I ended up turning down the job. After talking to the electrician that did not return, and found out they had missed 2 payments!

cschmid

Since the first question is answered..In situations like this I would call the inspector and have what is done inspected..charge T&M to fix problems and bid what is left over..all more then what meets the eye on these jobs..the EC who walked also might not be truthful..Always more questions as we go..

ceb58

Thanks to everyone who posted, I ended up turning down the job. After talking to the electrician that did not return, and found out they had missed 2 payments!

The question now is did he ever get his money? That would be a rock and a hard place I would not want to be in. Its better to start out not making a lot than start out loosing a lot.

cschmid

I remember getting a call from a contractor who sets up modular homes once and it was similar situation. I called and checked with other contractor and covered all bases. I contacted the contractor again and discussed it with him and we did the rest of the job and got paid on time and had new customer when we were done. Now I know it does not always work out like this but it does pay to do the leg work in the right situation..

Status
Not open for further replies.