Tread Mill In Garage. Can't put on GFCI?

Status
Not open for further replies.

raider1

Staff member
He says the 'manufacturers instructions' states NOT to plug into a gfci.

Just because the manufacture states to not plug the treadmill into the GFCI does not mean that there might not be a problem with the treadmill itself.

A lot of the time a manufacture will state to not plug their product into a GFCI protected receptacle not because it won't work just fine but because of the specter of "nuisance tripping".

Chris

480sparky

Just because the manufacture states to not plug the treadmill into the GFCI does not mean that there might not be a problem with the treadmill itself.

A lot of the time a manufacture will state to not plug their product into a GFCI protected receptacle not because it won't work just fine but because of the specter of "nuisance tripping".

Chris

A treadmill running full-bore with someone huffing away on it, when the power suddenly goes out, is not a pretty sight. The person basically rams him/herself into the control panel at full speed.

raider1

Staff member
A treadmill running full-bore with someone huffing away on it, when the power suddenly goes out, is not a pretty sight. The person basically rams him/herself into the control panel at full speed.

So you think this is the reason that the manufacture stated that you can't use the treadmill on a GFCI protected circuit?

Chris

dbuckley

Hmm. A direct conflict between manufacturer and NEC. You cannot do what you must do. What a dilemma.
Not quite - there is a third dimension here, which is location. What the combined words of the NEC and then manufacturer add up to is "you cant install this thing in a garage or any othe places where GFCI outlets are fitted".

But the underlying worry is there - is this thing popping the GFCI because its busted, or simply badly (or maybe historically) designed, or there is a really good reason that we don't know why it needs to leak to earth...?

OP needs to talk to the manufacturers, assuming this thing isn't "Made in China"... Not that made in China means its junk, its just that unless your Chinese or Mandarin is up to it, it will probably be a fairly fruitless exercise (oops, poor pun)

electricmanscott

I just did an experiment. The shut down period is somewhat gradual although the belt screeching to a halt would be funnier.

dbuckley

The Treadmill is one of the greatest devices ever invented. Just check out youtube for some really funny ways to damage yourself or property by using treadmills in ways not in compliance with the manufacturers instructions...

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
It's even more fun to watch when the power comes back on. :cool:

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
If the treadmill states that it must not be plugged into a GFCI then it needs to be installed where there are no GFCI's required. I would also bet an AFCI could cause similar issues.

mcclary's electrical

I have seen gfci's trip when it was just a 2 prong male cord cap for a L.E.D. work light. Im not sure what was causing it. The gfci would work fine with other tools, such as a drill motor etc..

I couldnt see how any current would leak on the work light since it did not have a ground or metal frame for it to leak through, its plastic. would 'noise' be an issue in this case??

I don;t know if you could call it noise or induction, but my theory on why the manufacturer says that in their manual is when someone is running, sometimes the belt motor is pulling the person, other times, 1/2 second later the person is pushing against the belt motor, causing it to try and overspeed, what does the controller do with this" overspeed" surge? Where does it go? It's seems that would be confusing for the GFI to monitor. I'm only guessing

AV ELECTRIC

The problem is some manufactures provide products that are not compatible with are homes ime sure they dont care about the nec and why should they all they need it to be is ul listed and home owners would not have any understanding of the code . they buy treadmills space heaters Which overload there 15 amp bedroom circuits . electronics they plug into ungrounded systems thinking a gfi will protect there equipment. utility company's have there own way of doing things which is not close to some minimum nec requirements . States and local municipalities do there own thing. So whos wright and whos wrong . Untill everyone gets on the same page and has the same requirements for all this industry will be very confusing for all.

electricmanscott

Simple answer for me. Install the receptacle to code. Let the treadmill owner deal with the problem or get out and run on the street like us real runners. :grin:

yeah, I'm quoting myself. :cool:

I just wired some receptacles in a basement. One is for a treadmill. Guess what happened.

Trips on acceleration. Right around 2 MPH.

More importantly, guess who's dealing with it. Hint, not me.

The owner is going to call the manufacturer. Where that will get him I don't know. What I do know is I am not removing the GFCI.

Status
Not open for further replies.