Nec 700 701 702 seperation of services

Status
Not open for further replies.
Occupation
Electrical Designer
NEC shows clear seperation between 700, 701 and 702 systems as well as an article I have read posted from Mike Holt. Each system must have its own transfer switch or motorized switchgear power transfer in seperate compartments. I have members of my firm that state that one transfer switch can leagally power all 3 systems. I do not believe this to be correct. I have looked everywhere to try to find the definition of each system and what loads can leagally be powered from it and which ones cannot. According to Mike Holts article this is in NFPA 101. I cannot locate any clear definition. Can someone please guide me in the correct direction?

1) Do these systems need to be fed from seperate transfer switches?

2) Where can I locate a clear definition of each system - Code & Section#?

The person you are speaking of may be confused a little. The generator or source is permitted to supply all 3 types of installations.

The Emergency systems are highly restrictive in this regard.

700.9 Wiring, Emergency System.

See 700.9(B)

Occupation
Electrical Designer
700 makes sence to me and seems clear. the largest issue is definition of the systems. the following is how I under stand it - - -

700 - egress lighting, fire alarm, etc

701 - elevators, smoke evac, etc (if required)

702 - other loads

My associates are stating that you can leagally put a break room refrigerator on 700 if you classify it as "emergency". I don't beleave this to be true.

Where can I find a code that clearly defines what loads can go onto each system and what loads cannot?

Thank you for replying

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
My associates are stating that you can legally put a break room refrigerator on 700 if you classify it as "emergency." I don't believe this to be true.
Your answer lies in 700.1, second paragraph, first sentence. Nobody gets to call something an "emergency load" other than a governmental agency having jurisdiction. Usually, that happens when the governmental agency publishes or adopts the building code, or the plumbing code, or one of the NFPA documents, or something along those lines. If the building code, as an example, states that egress lights shall be on an emergency power source, and if the state government has adopted that building code, then, and only then, will the NEC allow you to put egress lights on the emergency branch.

Welcome to the forum.

Last edited:

raider1

Staff member
I agree with Charlie.

If your AHJ had adopted the IBC (International Building Code) then you would want to look at Chapter 27, specifically section 2702.

Chris

Occupation
Electrical Designer
than you guys for your posts. I understand that the AHJ dictates, however, we do work all over the East coast and can't always contact every AHJ in that area. I can't imaging that there would be allot of variation between juridictions. I am going to look at IBC CH27 SEC 2702 as you recommended, hopfully we have that around here somewhere. Hopefully this will be black and white enough to convince my co-workers.

than you guys for your posts. I understand that the AHJ dictates, however, we do work all over the East coast and can't always contact every AHJ in that area. I can't imaging that there would be allot of variation between juridictions. I am going to look at IBC CH27 SEC 2702 as you recommended, hopfully we have that around here somewhere. Hopefully this will be black and white enough to convince my co-workers.

It is any contractor's responsibility to contact the local AHJ for the proper local information when they are working out of the area they may normally work.
There are variations from one jurisdiction to the other, especially when dealing with utility companies.
If you choose to read the IBC instead of going the extra mile to contact the local AHJ, it could be very costly in the long run.

Status
Not open for further replies.