tom henry

Status
Not open for further replies.

zapped 1

in one of tom henrys books (reminders for the electrician) it says there is no limit to the amount of devices on a branch circuit for single family dwellings is there a code art to back this up. (this is not a pratice i follow i generally do 10-13 items per 15a circ)

raider1

Staff member
The better question to ask is where in the NEC does it limit the number of receptacles that can be installed on a residential general purpose branch circuit.

Chris

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
in one of tom henrys books (reminders for the electrician) it says there is no limit to the amount of devices on a branch circuit for single family dwellings is there a code art to back this up. (this is not a pratice i follow i generally do 10-13 items per 15a circ)

And that is your perogative but Tom is right, see 210.14(J)

(J) Dwelling Occupancies. In one-family, two-family, and multifamily dwellings and in guest rooms or guest suites of hotels and motels, the outlets specified in (J)(1), (J)(2), and (J)(3) are included in the general lighting load calculations of 220.12. No additional load calculations shall be required for such outlets.

(1) All general-use receptacle outlets of 20-ampere rating or less, including receptacles connected to the circuits in 210.11(C)(3)

(2) The receptacle outlets specified in 210.52(E) and (G)

(3) The lighting outlets specified in 210.70(A) and (B)

Roger

dduffee260

Tom taught me my first class back in 1993 on the code. He put out a ton of information. I could tell it was his passion. I have alot of respect for Tom Henry.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
Like some have said and others will say, if you wish to install only 10 then that's not a bad practice, but it's just a rule of thumb and one I used to follow as well.

But no code saying one way or the other

Jim W in Tampa

It is up to you as to how many. I usually would put 2 normal bedrooms on 1 circuit. That is because it is unlikely that any one room would be using more than 5 or 10 amps. Bottom line is if breakers trip too often they call you.

TobyD

I try and run two circuits through every room.By keeping your lights and receptacles on different circuits this is easy to do.Common sense and applying the code will result in a good wiring job.I do work in certain areas that require you count each duplex as two outlets and each switched outlet as face value.Each outlet counts as 1.5 amps.Period.This will often times require a 40c. breaker box to be installed on a 1500 sq. ft. home.Seems crazy, but I'll maintain my disclipine and go from there.Because this inspection dept. will enforce there ordinance on you as well as me without prejudice. The above is for general lighting .Of course there are other areas where mandatory rules apply.

Last edited:

ty

I try and run two circuits through every room.By keeping your lights and receptacles on different circuits this is easy to do.Common sense and applying the code will result in a good wiring job.I do work in certain areas that require you count each duplex as two outlets and each switched outlet as face value.Each outlet counts as 1.5 amps.Period.This will often times require a 40c. breaker box to be installed on a 1500 sq. ft. home.Seems crazy, but I'll maintain my disclipine and go from there.Because this inspection dept. will enforce there ordinance on you as well as me without prejudice. The above is for general lighting .Of course there are other areas where mandatory rules apply.

I certainly hope that that ordinance is in writing as Law.

I, for one, would have issue if it wasn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.