sub panel below basement window

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikey d

Is it permissable to install a 100 amp sub panel below a basement window? The main panel is 200 amp, it is located about six inches to the side of the window. If I nipple out of the main panel part of the sub panel will be under the window. The bottom of the window is 6' 6" above the floor. Would 110.26(3) apply? There is enough room beside window to run home runs down. I could run conduit to the other side of the window I just don't think it would look as nice. Thanks for any imput, your site was very usefull when studying for my exam just last year

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Probably hard to make the homeruns look good but I see no NEC violation. Gosh, just re-read that only 6" is under the window. No prob.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
Not sure I understand the situation. Would the new subpanel be surface-mounted, such that if you installed a conduit out the top of the panel it could be run up to the ceiling without actually hitting the window frame? Would such a conduit be blocking the view from the window, and perhaps preventing you from opening the window? If so, then I would call this acceptable. The working clearances still have to be maintained in front of the new panel, but the window would not be interfering with the dedicated space required to be maintained directly above the panel.

As long as you route your conduits in such a way as to not actually block the view from the window, and not prevent the window from opening, you are not likely to run afoul of the building codes. But the NEC would not care about such things.

If rain is likely to come through that window, especially if it is left open in the warmer months, I would not care for having a panel under that window. Not a great location, but not an illegal one.

mikey d

The new panel will be surfaced mounted next to existing panel. It would be possible to pipe straight up out of less then half of the new panel without blocking the window. Not sure if the window can be opened but leaks are a concern of mine also. I just need to make up my mind before i head to the supply house this afternoon. thanks for the input.

construct

I agree with Dennis and Charlie. I don't really see an NEC violation. As far as Building Codes; the window would not qualify as the required emergency escape anyway for one thing the sill height is more than 44" above the floor. Also, it may not have the required clear net opening or minimum dimensions.

Sounds like the installation you are proposing would be compliant.

GMc

Probably hard to make the homeruns look good but I see no NEC violation. Gosh, just re-read that only 6" is under the window. No prob.

Only 6" is under the window? The main panel is located about six inches to the side of the window. I'm confused

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Only 6" is under the window? The main panel is located about six inches to the side of the window. I'm confused

It is not written well but I think he is saying that about 6" of the panel will be under the window while the rest of it is free and clear. I think the op was worrying if the window above the panel was a violation.

GMc

It is not written well but I think he is saying that about 6" of the panel will be under the window while the rest of it is free and clear. I think the op was worrying if the window above the panel was a violation.

Your probably right. Plus he never mentioned how many space panel he was installing. I believe a Square D 8 space sub panel is around 9" in width

mikey d

It was an eight spot Square D. Which is about 9". I used a 1 1/2 offset nipple out of main panel into the new panel. Then ran 1 1-/4 e.m.t. up to a jb mounted above. Past inspection and looks nice. Thanks for the input.

Status
Not open for further replies.