Tools for heating up heat shrink tubing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Electron_Sam78

Does anyone know of a better/faster tool to use for heating heat shrink for direct burial splices? I use a propane torch which isn't bad for a few but I'm going to be doing 72 of them to extend some underground circuits to new panelboard locations and I think it will get monotonous using that torch. :mad: I have a heat gun but that's not as fast as the propane torch.

tkb

I would use Cold Shrink instead.

On heat shrink, the torch would work the best.
Use a plumbers tank and torch and a large torch head for a broader flame.

cadpoint

I would use Cold Shrink instead.

On heat shrink, the torch would work the best.
Use a plumbers tank and torch and a large torch head for a broader flame.

I was thinking of the plumber's torch head also!

With that, you might spring for some extra thick aluminum foil or something if you do go with the bigger spread and the nearest to the other circuits, don't know...

Cow

Occupation
Electrician
I thought a propane torch was fast?:confused:

Heck, that's all that most of the guys in our shop use. I don't like it though, seems if you try and go to fast you just blister/burn the shrinktube until it shows those little cracks in it. I prefer a heat gun myself. It's a slower, more controlled heat, but I know it makes a damn good splice.

cschmid

That is what apprentices are for using the heat gun to shrink as you make splices..as the torch can damage the skin of the wire and cause future problems under the earth..You can damage with a heat gun as well but it would take longer..no apprentice get day labor and call him an apprentice that day..

quinn77

I thought heat shrink had manufacturer's specs on temp. When I use it I follow the specs, setting my digital heat gun to temp specified...then handing it to apprentice while moving on to next splice.

mivey

I thought heat shrink had manufacturer's specs on temp. When I use it I follow the specs, setting my digital heat gun to temp specified...then handing it to apprentice while moving on to next splice.
Well, aren't you Mr Fancy Pants.:grin:

I have never seen a digital heat gun. I use a torch, lighter, match, and low/high heat gun. I think I just found something else to add to my tool collection. Any particular brand stand out from the rest?

mivey

A search turned up Wagner, Milwaukee, Bosch, Ace, etc running from $30 up to hundreds of $.

I don't think I'll invest in hundreds but around $100 or less might be acceptable if there are good units in that range.

quinn77

A search turned up Wagner, Milwaukee, Bosch, Ace, etc running from $30 up to hundreds of $.

I don't think I'll invest in hundreds but around $100 or less might be acceptable if there are good units in that range.

bought mine at a local hardware store for 60 clams...wagner I think...cant dial in exact temps but havn't found a spec temp yet that it cant match. and "fancy pants"...why thank you.:cool:

Does anyone know of a better/faster tool to use for heating heat shrink for direct burial splices? I use a propane torch which isn't bad for a few but I'm going to be doing 72 of them to extend some underground circuits to new panelboard locations and I think it will get monotonous using that torch. :mad: I have a heat gun but that's not as fast as the propane torch.

If you are worried about monotonous, do one a day.;)

I guess you never worked in a large office building installing the lighting...now that is monotonous.:D

busman

Occupation
Master Electrician / Electrical Engineer
My favorite is changing EVERY SINGLE switch and receptacle in newer track homes that were wire with POS backstab devices made in China.

Mark

Cold Splice Kit

Cold Splice Kit

This is the 3M product site. They make several versions.

http://solutions.3m.co.uk/wps/portal/3M/en_GB/ElectricalMkts/ElectricalSupplies/ProductInfo/ECatalogue/ColdShrinkTubesandEndCaps/ColdShrinkTubeRubber/[/URL]

Status
Not open for further replies.