Ground fault path for delta loads?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DJL

Does anyone have a sketch depicting a proper ground fault current path for a 3phase motor load fed from a 3phase 3wire panel? The panel is feed via delta secondary 3phase 3wire corner grounded transformer.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
I am no good at posting sketches. But the fault path would run from the source (let us say on the Phase A wire) to the motor, from the Phase A wire inside the motor to the case of the motor (i.e., the fault point), from the case of the motor to the point of connection of the equipment grounding conductor (green wire attached to motor case), along the EGC back to the panel, continuing along the EGC in the feeder to that panel from the main panel to the ground bus in the main panel, along the N-G bond wire within the main panel, to the neutral bar within the main panel, and we can consider that to have completed the circuit for the fault path.

Welcome to the forum.

I am no good at posting sketches. But the fault path would run from the source (let us say on the Phase A wire) to the motor, from the Phase A wire inside the motor to the case of the motor (i.e., the fault point), from the case of the motor to the point of connection of the equipment grounding conductor (green wire attached to motor case), along the EGC back to the panel, continuing along the EGC in the feeder to that panel from the main panel to the ground bus in the main panel, along the N-G bond wire within the main panel, to the neutral bar within the main panel, and we can consider that to have completed the circuit for the fault path.

Welcome to the forum.
charlie
don't we only have 1 ground bar in a grounded delta.
therefore return on the egc to the main panel , on to the system bonding jumper to the ground bar, then to the grounded phase conductor.

Status
Not open for further replies.