DIY Electrical book recall

Status
Not open for further replies.

chris1971

Has anyone heard about a publisher recalling DIY electrical books? I heard it on the news today that a bunch were recalled because they showed incorrect wiring diagrams and they also stated that if you followed the book there was the potential of causing injury or electrical fires. I got a good chuckle after hearing that.

cadpoint

Seems the government is all over it!

U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission

Here

U can read more from a search engine here

Looks like this is the second in two years, different authors though!

chris1971

Just curious to see what was screwed up with the book? How bad? Adviously bad enoungh to have the CSPSC get involved.

readydave8

re member
Occupation
electrician
If the books have been recalled the homeowner will have it get his misinformation directly from the guy in the blue apron.

Several times I've had customers argue with me how to do something, and have said, "The man at Lowe's (or Home Depot) said it was OK, and he used to be an electrician." All I could answer was, "I'm still an electrician; why isn't he?"

DIRT27

I heard it was the Uglys, a few of us might be in trouble.;););) Maybe the book in question had a diagram for a california 3 way.

I know this is a step in the right direction, but I doubt it will keep people from doing there own electrical work or hiring people that shouldn't be doing the work. I have been am in the process of buying a house right now. i probably looked at more than 30 houses before I found. You wouldn't believe the amount of DIYers out there and the unsafe work they do.

Last edited:

Minuteman

I saw this on the local news, they showed a full size book in the hands of the info babe, but not a close up. Anyway, I knew that you guys would be all over this! lol

jes25

If the books have been recalled the homeowner will have it get his misinformation directly from the guy in the blue apron.

So true. I got a good laugh at that.

A little off topic, but I was thinking last week how sick I am of telling people that should hire pro's and how they don't listen. So if you can't beat em join em, right? What about offering an on-site DIY consulting service? Do you see a market for it?

Of course I would talk to my lawyer and insurance company about the obvious liability issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.