Adding a neutral to a 240 v delta transformer

Status
Not open for further replies.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
I have never encountered such a system but can you not generate a neutral using zig-zag transformer connections ?

winnie

Occupation
Electric motor research
Roger,

In my post, I think I should have said 'I believe, as was mentioned by others above, I believe that you (the OP) would be better off with two separate transformers....'

I was trying to follow up on the OP's concept of using the delta:delta transformer and then using an additional transformer to derive a mid point neutral. It was only after I realized that the OP wanted to serve _3_ phase loads at 240V, and given the size of the loads, that I abandoned that approach.

Augie47,

A 'zig-zag' transformer can be used to derive a three phase neutral on a delta system. The OP wanted to do something analogous, and use some sort of transformer to derive a single phase center tap on one of the delta legs. A simple 120/240V autotransformer would do the job, if large enough, and if the delta transformer was large enough to supply the combined loads.

-Jon

glene77is

A 'zig-zag' transformer can be used to derive a three phase neutral ...
A simple 120/240V autotransformer would do the job ...
-Jon

Winnie,

Is the "Zig_Zag transformer"
Similiar to
the "simple autotransformer" you mentioned?

In my mind, the "simple" one seems to a component of the "Zig" model.

winnie

Occupation
Electric motor research
A 'zig-zag' transformer is a 3 phase transformer with 6 coils on 3 legs. All coils have the same turn count. Somewhat more complex than a simple single phase autotransformer.

See http://www.electrical-contractor.net/forums/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/148726/page/2

One thing to add: I've seen diagrams where these are constructed using a bank of single standard phase transformers, which are often constructed as 480/240:240/120V devices. Since a zig-zag transformer needs to have the same number of turns, the HV side is wired parallel and the LV side wired series to make a 240V:240V transformer. This series/parallel connection just adds extra confusion to understanding what is going on.

-Jon

Status
Not open for further replies.