Wacky things at home?

Status
Not open for further replies.

e57

Great North - yes it is white this time of year.

~~

An inverter on the battery powering a block heater equates to a dead battery = no engine start. That's really a bummer.

cf
Thats why you'd have the thermostat kick on the engine then after a few minutes later the engine will be fairly warm, then say a 50w block heater to help maintain it - even kick the engine back on for a while, if the voltage dips below 11.... I'm sure theres a market out there for something like that... A smart little box to do the things you'd do yourself - sart if it needs to warm or charge up...

Occupation
Inspector
Garage Door(s)

Garage Door(s)

So, a house I lived in years ago had a detached four car garage that was located up a hill in the back of the house and the doors faced into an alleyway. From the house you could not tell if the door(s) were open.

I installed a contactor to power a 120v luminaire I installed that I could see through a window that faced the house. I used magnetic door contacts on the garage doors. When either door was opened the light would come on and stay on as long as the door(s) were open.

Not the most creative but my wife at the time thought I was a genius, might be why she is my ex-wife.

Cold Fusion

... I'm sure theres a market out there for something like that... A smart little box to do the things you'd do yourself - sart if it needs to warm or charge up...
Great idea - but you may need to go back in time about 40 years and get started then. As I mentioned earlier:
...I've got a Command Start in mine - it's 10 years old, I don't think they are in business any more. My wife's car has Viper model something or other ($700). They both can be set to start in at a specific (block/cabin) temp. Both have a key fob for remote start. ...
There are several other similar types out there. I saw the first ones about 35 years ago. They could be set to start at a specific block temp and would run the engine for 15/20 minutes. No remote start capability.

I haven't ever seen any that use a battery operated inverter for a heat pad.

cf

e57

Great idea - but you may need to go back in time about 40 years and get started then. As I mentioned earlier:

There are several other similar types out there. I saw the first ones about 35 years ago. They could be set to start at a specific block temp and would run the engine for 15/20 minutes. No remote start capability.

I haven't ever seen any that use a battery operated inverter for a heat pad.

cf
See there is room for improvement... ;)

Cold Fusion

See there is room for improvement... ;)
I believe you have found your niche market to make your millions.

However, you may wish to consider using a bit more than a 50W inverter. My pickup has 2 - 500W block heaters, a 150W oil pan heater pad, and 100W transmission pan heater pad. The SUV has a bit less: 1 - 500W block heater, a 150W oil pan heater pad, and 100W transmission pan heater pad.

cf

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.