Timers

Status
Not open for further replies.

iwirehouses

Are there any hardwired, inline timers that allow you to turn 3 lighting circuits on and off with only one timer? Naturally, I think I would need 3 timers. But then again, I imagine theres many commercial applications where they have more then one lighting circuit they want on a timer.

Besoeker

Are there any hardwired, inline timers that allow you to turn 3 lighting circuits on and off with only one timer? Naturally, I think I would need 3 timers. But then again, I imagine theres many commercial applications where they have more then one lighting circuit they want on a timer.
All on and off at the same time presumably?
One timer and one three-pole contactor a possibility?

iwirehouses

Thats a great idea. What kind of box do I use to mount a contactor? And what would be a typical price for say a 5 pole contactor? Probably 80 bucks? Thanks everyone!

cadpoint

Thats a great idea. What kind of box do I use to mount a contactor? And what would be a typical price for say a 5 pole contactor? Probably 80 bucks? Thanks everyone!

I think your thinking of a ice cube type contactor which are the approximate price your, but there only good for five amps. I beleive your going to have to go higher in amps and that to meet this it will be more around the range of a motor rated contactor, maybe I miss read the information at one manufactures site.

(Seems, I am wrong) http://www.eecontrols.com/documents/p.54.pdf

Just a thought, cause I'm sure your 3 circuits will be loaded up.

Last edited:

Cow

Occupation
Electrician
5 pole will be a little odd. I bet I could get a 4 pole IEC AB motor contactor for a decent price though....

I use them all the time for lighting contactors.

Cow

Occupation
Electrician
If you were going to use a contactor, why not use a LIGHTING CONTACTOR such as one made by Cutler Hammer

Instad of using a Motor Contactor??

Because they're fairly cheap and readily available. The fact I carry them on my truck means I now have spare lighting and motor contactors available for service calls without carrying two different parts or having to order them. Most importantly, if they're rated for the load, why not?:confused:

ty

Motor Control Contactors are usually rated in HP, and the amperage per pole is often alot less than that of a Lighting Contactor, whose contacts might be rated at 40 amps, among other reasons.

ty

Just another reason:
These contactors are designed to
withstand the large initial inrush
currents of tungsten and ballast lamp
loads as well as non-motor (resistive)
loads without contact welding

Cow

Occupation
Electrician
I understand where you're coming from.

You should know though that we have quite of few of these installed. Many have been for years, we oversize them a bit, and they seem to last for a very long time, day in, day out. That tells me all I need to know.:cool:

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I just bought a 3p "definite-purpose" contactor for a fire-suppression job. It's rated at 30a inductive, 40a resistive, and was less than a third of $80. A suitable 8x8 enclosure with KO's was about $18.

Status
Not open for further replies.