NEC Dispute

Status
Not open for further replies.

lmno49

We have some contractors installing a switch for us. The issue is that the switch is claimed to be "front access only" with the back pushed directly against the wall. The conduits that enter the switch enter via this back wall, therefore for the electrationto get to the back he has to enter and crawl under the switching mechanism to train the cables down. The contractor says that everything is okay because it front access only, we are saying that it is not because we have to enter the switch to terminate the cable.
The information on the switch says it is front access only, but says to have the conduit to enter thru the bottom of the switch. We are Illinois so there is no electrical inspector to come give a third party perspective. Is there a code violation here? Is there way to get a third party opinion on it?

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
From what you say, as best I picture it, there may not be a violation.
I don't think the "point of entry" as poor as it may be located, is a Code violation per se' but depending on the distances and cables involved it might violate 312.6 for deflection of conductors.
I'm confident 3rd party certifications are available in IL, but I will leave that to folks familiar with the area.
(One opinion, please wait for others)

Hendrix

We have some contractors installing a switch for us. The issue is that the switch is claimed to be "front access only" with the back pushed directly against the wall. The conduits that enter the switch enter via this back wall, therefore for the electrationto get to the back he has to enter and crawl under the switching mechanism to train the cables down. The contractor says that everything is okay because it front access only, we are saying that it is not because we have to enter the switch to terminate the cable.
The information on the switch says it is front access only, but says to have the conduit to enter thru the bottom of the switch. We are Illinois so there is no electrical inspector to come give a third party perspective. Is there a code violation here? Is there way to get a third party opinion on it?
If the manufacturer says enter through the bottom, then you best enter through the bottom.

ron

I agree with Bob
nothing says access has to be easy or fun

More importantly, NEC requires you to follow manufacturers instructions. If the instructions say bottom entry recommended, then the install is okay. If they say bottom entry required, then your installation is not okay, but not for the front access reason.

nakulak

I agree with the others, but it would be nice to see pictures because I think something is missing in your description

Last edited:

lmno49

Thanks everyone for your help. Something I left out that may or may not affect the results is that there is a total of three switches, one coming in, a reduntant one coming in, and then the one to the transformer. Since the conduit enters the back when we goto pull the cable (500mcm) we will have to pull the cables through the bus bars. Therefore if for some reason we need to pull new wire we will have to shut down all three switches and shut down all building down wind of this switch. Ideally would like to be able to just disconnect the one bad switch and pull new cables without shutting everything down. I guess this maybe more of a convience issue more than a NEC issue.

Thanks again

mivey

...he has to enter and crawl under the switching mechanism to train the cables down. The contractor says that everything is okay because it front access only, we are saying that it is not because we have to enter the switch...
We need you to design vehicle engine compartments. Our lives would be so much easier.

iwire

Staff member
Need a make and model or picture Gus, busses can be removed and reinstalled. Wouldn't be the first time I had to do that to make a pull.

I have removed entire I-Line panelboards from switchgear in order to get inside for pulling.

Picture047.jpg

Picture051.jpg

Picture042.jpg

Last edited:

nakulak

what voltages are these switches ? (that link was for mv ?) you may in fact have clearance issues if that is the case.

lmno49

and unfortunately we do not have the kind of space to bring in such equipment to remove the bus bar. Actually I think it because of the size of the room is why they went front access only.

chris kennedy

Occupation
60 yr old tool twisting electrician
Did you click on "Installation Instructions" on the right of your link? Page 10 of that pdf shows top and bottom entries. I would be making a call to the Eaton engineers.

lmno49

I called Eaton and they said "We recommend top or bottom entry but where they entered the switch it was okay."

What makes me wonder about this statement is that they are already aware of the situation because the contractor had already talked to them about it and was the "sales engineer" that sold it to them. As of right now we are going to host an on-site visit with contractor and the rep from cutler-hammer. I guess the issue I have now is since the contractor does a lot more bussiness with Eaton they will lean more on the side of it is okay, even though the documents argue otherwise.

I am hoping that I can find a third party to say one way or another, unbiased.

PS. The shopping drawings (model number on drawing and on gear matched) that came with the switch instructed a 30" min clearance in the rear and in red pen someone scratched out the clearance and wrote front access only. It just seems too fishy to me.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.