Remodeling Old Houses

Status
Not open for further replies.

euclid43

A real estate agent wants me to help with electrical issues surrounding the sale of old houses that aren't code compliant.

My question is whether or not I am obligated (as EC) to install all recepts in kitchen, bath, bedrooms according to code. My answer is only if safety issue. Another dilemna is putting outlets in kitchen with only one circuit. To most people this sounds simple, but for me.... it is sticky.

Also, with two prong outlets I recommend putting a few GFCI's for safety and usability, while not replacing ALL recepts for cost reasons (could use GFCI breaker to minimize cost).

electricmanscott

If I am selling a house I am obligated to do nothing. If you want to buy the house you might try to negotiate having things done as a conditon of sale but other than that nada.

If somebody wants a house built to current code then they should buy a new one.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
I suggest your first stop would be to talk with the AHJ as to what rules they may have about "bringing up to Code". I know of no areas which require a undisturbed residence to be brought up to current Code. I know of a few that require some attention to GFCIs or other items.
Locally som insurance companies require "no fuses" before they insure.
If the house was constructed in a era of knob & tube wiring and two wire receptacles, does that make it unsafe ?
Unless the local jurisdiction has rules, you would need to have an understanding with the real-eat ate company as to what issues they wish to address. $$$ is often the deciding factor.:)
From most folks point of view your "obligation" is to assure whatever work you do is done to Code.

RICK NAPIER

It matters what the laws are in your area. In NJ a town may adopt a housing code which would require GFI's in bathrooms and kitchens when a property is sold.

jwjrw

I inspect houses a few times a year for a mortgage guy I know. I look for "Unsafe" conditions. The code changes every 3 years. Do we run out and update all the houses to be code compliant then? The term "Grandfathered in" is necessary for that reason alone.

buzzbar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Just an FYI, using a GFCI breaker on a 'knob and tube' circuit usually doesn't work because SOMEWHERE down the line, somebody tapped into the neutral wire (or hot), which creates an unbalanced load which will trip the GFCI breaker. If needed, and the wiring isn't being changed, I just install a 2-prong receptacle. This usually pops up on a home inspection where a homeowner installed a 3-prong receptacle on a 2-wire system.

Status
Not open for further replies.