WR and 406.8

Status
Not open for further replies.

ivsenroute

How many of you are installing WR rated receptacles in these areas?

I have noticed several GFCI manufacturers now have sticker on their receptacle stating that the receptacle is not to be used in damp locations.

What is the cost difference for those who are compliant?

ivsenroute

Don't know why TN would exempt that requirement. I test a lot of existing GFCI receptacles and have a very high failure rate.

Some trip with self test but not a GFCI tester (if they fail I try another tester to confirm)

Some don't trip with self or GFCI tester.

UL tested a bunch of the failed ones and found that corrosion was the #1 reason for the failures.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
I wass told (can't verify) that at the time they were discussing the adoption of '08 there was not a WR GFCI readily avaialble.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Some trip with self test but not a GFCI tester (if they fail I try another tester to confirm)

Why would you care if a "GFCI tester" tripped the unit or not, the only approved method is the onboard test switch.

Roger

electricmanscott

How many of you are installing WR rated receptacles in these areas?

I have noticed several GFCI manufacturers now have sticker on their receptacle stating that the receptacle is not to be used in damp locations.

What is the cost difference for those who are compliant?

The answer should be everybody that is under 2008 NEC

raider1

Staff member
Apparently the WR rated receptacles are constructed with a more UV resistant material then the standard devices.

Chris

A-1Sparky

Yeah, and they are made of corrosion-resistant materials. But if a regular GFCI is properly protected (from the elements), you shouldn't have to worry about UV rays or corrosion.

Status
Not open for further replies.