Violations beyond workmanlike

Status
Not open for further replies.

ivsenroute

Using plumbing pvc to protect against physical damage.

Securing NM in a bar/restaurant.

Another commercial establishment

IMG_7230.JPG

raider1

Staff member
Regardless of how the NM cable is secured or supported, NM cable can't be installed exposed in a non-dwelling application. (See 334.10(3))

Chris

mivey

What's with the hose? Is the rest of this place held together with duct tape and chewing gum?

Regardless of how the NM cable is secured or supported, NM cable can't be installed exposed in a non-dwelling application. (See 334.10(3))

Chris
Here in NY the 2005 Code is still applicable. Not sure how 334.10 is worded in the 2008 code but our interpretaion of the 2005 code is that the installation of exposed NM is permitted in non residential applications of Type 3, 4, & 5 construction but not in a drop ceiling area in any type of non residential construction per 334.12 unless behind a fixed 15 minute fire rated protection. Removable fire retardent ceiling tiles do not count.
As far as the photo and real world inspections I normally require all exposed NM in all types of residential and non residential construction to be protected anyway. I like the fact that Schedule 40 PVC is ommitted as a method of protection per 334.15. Contractors who use my services know what expect when they use NM up front and bid the job accordingly.

Who knows what the occupancy will be next week when the cooler is removed, or when the Smiths move out and the Jones move in. I never inspect based upon the wishes of the current occupant. That NM will be on that wall exposed at one time or another for the next 75 years.

Oddly enough in NY the AHJ is the building inspector and wants nothing to do with the electrical installation inspection.

RICK NAPIER

The building inspector is the AHJ in NY thats tough. Here in NJ we have a seperate fire, building, electric, plumbing and elevator subcode officials each having primary authority in thier field.

Jim W in Tampa

The miller lite needs moved up 1 shelf higher.
The romex is subject to damage. Why did he not use MC and make the job easy ?
As to the use of plumbing PVC ,i am not sure if legal being this is not a raceway and is just protection. Many things are legal for protection.
You seem to have a lot of trunk slammers up there.
What percentage of your jobs actually meet nec ?
What puzels me is if they know it will be inspected why do this ?

wbalsam1

Here in NY the 2005 Code is still applicable. Not sure how 334.10 is worded in the 2008 code but our interpretaion of the 2005 code is that the installation of exposed NM is permitted in non residential applications of Type 3, 4, & 5 construction but not in a drop ceiling area in any type of non residential construction per 334.12 unless behind a fixed 15 minute fire rated protection. Removable fire retardent ceiling tiles do not count.
As far as the photo and real world inspections I normally require all exposed NM in all types of residential and non residential construction to be protected anyway. I like the fact that Schedule 40 PVC is ommitted as a method of protection per 334.15. Contractors who use my services know what expect when they use NM up front and bid the job accordingly.

Who knows what the occupancy will be next week when the cooler is removed, or when the Smiths move out and the Jones move in. I never inspect based upon the wishes of the current occupant. That NM will be on that wall exposed at one time or another for the next 75 years.

Oddly enough in NY the AHJ is the building inspector and wants nothing to do with the electrical installation inspection.

Read 334.10(3) again. It says shall be concealed....
I disagree with your interpretation. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.