702.11 and 225.32 except # 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

RUWired

Can the exception # 1 in 225.32 be applied to the disconnecting means required in 702.11 if the facility meets the criteria?

If an outdoor housed gen set has an OCPD, and the feeders go directly into and ATS inside the building and the facility meets the exception, can the OCPD be used in the housed unit.

I don't see an exception in 702.11, but it refers to 225.36 and that refers to 225.31 and to provide a location, 225.32 comes into play with exceptions.

Rick

ivsenroute

Can the exception # 1 in 225.32 be applied to the disconnecting means required in 702.11 if the facility meets the criteria?

If an outdoor housed gen set has an OCPD, and the feeders go directly into and ATS inside the building and the facility meets the exception, can the OCPD be used in the housed unit.

I don't see an exception in 702.11, but it refers to 225.36 and that refers to 225.31 and to provide a location, 225.32 comes into play with exceptions.

Rick

No, this was clarified in NFPA 70 2008

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Rick,
I don't see how an exception in Article 225 could apply to a rule in Article 702. If the generator disconnect is not within sight of the building, you will have to provide a disconnect at the building. You indicated that the generator was in a housing so it is somewhat unlikely that the disconnect within that housing is within sight of the building.

RUWired

I agree with you Don, the local engineer for the project was suggesting that it could be used. It seems to counter the requirement but is a possibility when looking for the "location" of the disconnect reqirement.

Rick

ceb58

Also the disconnect would have to meet 225.36 and 445.18. In your case the only way to meet 225.32 would be if the ATS was service rated and mounted at the closest point of entry.

RUWired

It is a service rated ATS with a breaker for the incoming normal feeder conductors but does not have a breaker for the gen set feeder conductors.

Hendrix

Rick
IMO what it comes down to is....... is the "housed" OCPD service rated ??
I would say no and would require a disconnect in sight, before the ATS.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
IMO what it comes down to is....... is the "housed" OCPD service rated ??
I would say no and would require a disconnect in sight, before the ATS.
Even if the "housed" OCPD is service rated, you still need one at the building if you cannot see the "housed" one from the building when the generator house doors are closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.