Permitting for Service and Repair Work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

knoppdude

I live in Sacramento, CA,which according to the building department requires an electrical permit for any type of electrical work, as small a changing a receptacle. I wrote them to ask how to deal with after hours emergencies when a customer needs power or has some other urgent need, and the building dept. is closed. I haven't heard back, but has any one had experience in this type of situation, and how is it handled? I would imagine an exemption would be made for emergencies, but the building dept is a bureacracy. Thanks for all input.

zappy

I would think they would be flexible on some situations. Maybe call them the next day and explain what you did, and that you need to get it inspected.

ivsenroute

Our state law allows you 3 days to pull a permit after you did work for an "emergency". We get a lot of "emergencies" that really are not.

iwire

Staff member
In MA we have 5 days emergency or not.

RI permit before you start but as has been pointed out if you handle an emergency call and pull a permit ASAP all is fine.

RICK NAPIER

In NJ your to notify the building dept. as soon as possible and apply for a permit within 3 days. No permit is necessary to replace switches,lights or receptacles.

ivsenroute

I didn't know you needed any permits for electrical work in PA. No license, no permits? Are you dealing with a local jurisdiction?

PA has a statewide uniform construction code but has no licensing for contractors, only state registration which has nothing to do with competency.

Just because there is not a state license does not mean there are no permits.

The state legislators has shot down electrician licensing more than once.

rodneee

some PA townships do not even require registration much less a permit for a small repair job. and the twp's that do require permits get mostly ignored on all but the bigger projects.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
It's not all building departments. We don't require a permit for repair work.

My buddy does custom concrete work and just did a driveway in Beverly Hills, now flat work doesn't require a permit, but it does there and the fee for a 2800 sq ft driveway was $2700 dollars. You also cannot park a work truck on the street in that city no matter what. You have to also buy a business license and a truck pemit. No work on Sundays, can't start until 8:00 and must be gone by 5:00. And no MC cable.

Cow

Occupation
Electrician
It's not all building departments. We don't require a permit for repair work.

My buddy does custom concrete work and just did a driveway in Beverly Hills, now flat work doesn't require a permit, but it does there and the fee for a 2800 sq ft driveway was $2700 dollars. You also cannot park a work truck on the street in that city no matter what. You have to also buy a business license and a truck pemit. No work on Sundays, can't start until 8:00 and must be gone by 5:00. And no MC cable.

California is just too weird, I don't know how you guys stand it. The pretty girls and warm weather must be worth it though...:)

bradleyelectric

a lot of times I walk into a permit office in the afternoon for a permit and ask for inspection the next day. They know I'm not doing the work that evening, but also know I now have the permit and am looking for inspection. That is what they are really concerned about. It's not like I'm pulling anything over on anyone.

knoppdude

Thanks for the responses. I still haven't heard from the building dept., but it seems reasonable that they would make allowances for after hours emergencies. I know a great many contractors, and handymen perform work without permits, and for the most part they have no problem. However, if something does go wrong, the fire inspectors, lawyers, etc will be looking closely at everything, so I would rather go by the book and play it safe. As for Ca being weird, it still is. Weather depends on where you are in the state. Unfortunately, life here is not how Hollywierd has portrayed it over the years. One positive event taking place is that the state contractors licensing board is starting to hammer unlicensed and unethical contractors. Knoppdude out!

AndyB

Thanks for the responses. I still haven't heard from the building dept., but it seems reasonable that they would make allowances for after hours emergencies. I know a great many contractors, and handymen perform work without permits, and for the most part they have no problem. However, if something does go wrong, the fire inspectors, lawyers, etc will be looking closely at everything, so I would rather go by the book and play it safe. As for Ca being weird, it still is. Weather depends on where you are in the state. Unfortunately, life here is not how Hollywierd has portrayed it over the years. One positive event taking place is that the state contractors licensing board is starting to hammer unlicensed and unethical contractors. Knoppdude out!

I do lots of work in sacramento and can't imagine pulling a permit for simple repair work. The only time permits realistically get pulled out here is for new construction, major additions/remodels or service changes. You just can't win small jobs out here when you are including the cost of a permit in the job, it's just the nature of the business. Too many handyman and unlicensed guys will outbid you by half if not more. Plus most home owners don't want tye city/county inspectors on their property.

Yes by the letter of the law you are required to but you are going to get some strange looks from inspectors and home owners alike when a permit is pulled for changing a outlet. Now that being said stay FAR away from the city of Davis, that place makes Sacramento look like electrician fantasy land. Good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.