3 screw rule???

Status
Not open for further replies.

mcclary's electrical

Is the AHJ citing the '05 or '08 NFPA 70?

Either way, 314.23 [1] says nothing about 'how many' fasteners are to be used.

I could understand him if, say, you used only one nail or screw... or if the surface isn't rigid or there isn't secure enough support.

This will be an interesting outcome.

We are on 05',,,,,the studs are wood, the screws are 1 & 1/4 inch wood screws. The brackets are spot welded to the box. Two screws are very secure. I would be willing to bet you could put your foot on the box and stand on it.

Cow

Occupation
Electrician
I think your mistake was letting him cite you without a code reference. "I'll get back to you" doesn't cut it and is unprofessional IMO. If he can't cite the code he thinks your violating right then and there, he should schedule another inspection when he does know the code or else he'll be forced to pass you. It's not your fault he doesn't know the code and on top of that you shouldn't have to suffer the consequences of holding up the project while he tries to figure it out. Just my opinion, of course. Maybe you could try his supervisor...

For the record, I use two 10x3/4" or 1" screws to hold boxes to wood studs all the time.

mcclary's electrical

I think your mistake was letting him cite you without a code reference. "I'll get back to you" doesn't cut it and is unprofessional IMO. If he can't cite the code he thinks your violating right then and there, he should schedule another inspection when he does know the code or else he'll be forced to pass you. It's not your fault he doesn't know the code and on top of that you shouldn't have to suffer the consequences of holding up the project while he tries to figure it out. Just my opinion, of course. Maybe you could try his supervisor...

For the record, I use two 10x3/4" or 1" screws to hold boxes to wood studs all the time.

I wasn't there when he inspected. I called him on the phone when I got the word it failed. I have already called for reinspection. However, they're off tomorrow and mon. So it will all come to a boil on tues when hee sees I did not put his imaginary third screw in. It should be an interesting morning.

480sparky

I wasn't there when he inspected. I called him on the phone when I got the word it failed. I have already called for reinspection. However, they're off tomorrow and mon. So it will all come to a boil on tues when hee sees I did not put his imaginary third screw in. It should be an interesting morning.

So he's coming back to reinpect for other reasons, or is the alledged 3-screw rule the only obstacle?

SEO

I did ask him was that a local code,,,,he said no,,,NEC,,,,.(I didn't mean to),,,but I laughed out loud when he said that. I politely told him I would love a code reference in order to be able to read this myself. He said he's gonna get back to me.

Let us know how you make out. It's always fun to learn something new. ;)

Cow

Occupation
Electrician

Our inspectors always cite code references on inspection reports, I don't know how guys live without it. I wouldn't have a problem if it was something obvious like a loose compression connector or forgetting to tape a neutral or something simple. You obviously don't need a reference for that, but for other things there should be one. If there's not, he definitely should be able to tell you in a phone call right away when you call to clear it up.

One of our inspectors we have is pretty anal, but he cites code references, so he's usually right.:cool: Hard to argue with that...

dana1028

I think Mivey has finally come up with the reason some of these inspectors make judgements...:D

I am not aware of any listing of any box in regards to securing that requires 3 screws, nails, or other fastening means.

I am curious as to how he came to this requirement. Did you ask him for a section number or other reason as to how/why?

I have a clue - combination inspectors are required to be knowledgable of and inspect building, electrical, mechanical, plumbing [and the energy] codes.

Under the mechanical code - there is a 3 screw requirement for attaching metal ducting ["shall be mechanically fastened by means of at least 3 sheet metal screws equally spaced arount the duct].

I think the problem [being a combination inspector] is there is sometimes mix up codes; at least that's been my experience.

That's my guess about the 3 screw requirement.

mcclary's electrical

I have a clue - combination inspectors are required to be knowledgable of and inspect building, electrical, mechanical, plumbing [and the energy] codes.

Under the mechanical code - there is a 3 screw requirement for attaching metal ducting ["shall be mechanically fastened by means of at least 3 sheet metal screws equally spaced arount the duct].

I think the problem [being a combination inspector] is there is sometimes mix up codes; at least that's been my experience.

That's my guess about the 3 screw requirement.

Good guess,it could be. Once he gets to digging around in the NEC, he'll realize he made a mistake

mcclary's electrical

Got my reinspection yesterday. He never mentioned the imaginary 3rd screw. I guess he figured out over the weekend he was wrong. I could tell he wasn't NOT happy that I didn't do as he said. Oh well

iwire

Staff member
Got my reinspection yesterday. He never mentioned the imaginary 3rd screw. I guess he figured out over the weekend he was wrong. I could tell he wasn't NOT happy that I didn't do as he said. Oh well

OK it all worked out.:cool:

But again I point out the NEC requires boxes to be securely fastened in place. (300.11)

Now if an inspector decided two screws did not securely fasten the box in place he might not be able to tell you you must add a screw but he sure can decide you have to make it more secure in some way.

Status
Not open for further replies.