#16AWG for 120V circuit

Status
Not open for further replies.

PhaseShift

Can a #16AWG be used for a 120V circuit for any of the following:

1) Branch circuit
2) Feeder Circuit
3) Tap Rule

Even if the OCPD is less than the capacity of #16?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Answer #3 depending on how you interpret the words "tap rule". Take a look at 240.3(B)(2).

Last edited:

TT009

430 allow 16 awg for control circuits. Lights pre-wired I belive are #16. It all depends on the application like LarryFine asked.

PhaseShift

The application is part of a branch circuit. There is a 120V branch circuit feeding several lights. There is a #12 circuit ran from a 20A circuit breaker to a junction box. From this junction box there are #16AWG spliced to run to each light bulb?

What if the entire branch circuit from the OCPD was a #16 which fed all of the lights?

A similar question with a #16 came up when purchasing an extension cord the other week. There was an extension cord rated for 20A but it was avaliable in several different sizes from #16, #14, and #12. The #12 was much more expensive than the #16. So with the cord rated at 20A, then why buy the #12 cord when the #16 is cheaper?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
A similar question with a #16 came up when purchasing an extension cord the other week. There was an extension cord rated for 20A but it was avaliable in several different sizes from #16, #14, and #12. The #12 was much more expensive than the #16. So with the cord rated at 20A, then why buy the #12 cord when the #16 is cheaper?

One reason is voltage drop. A large amperage machine like a core drilling machine would require a larger cord to keep it's operating voltage near 120 volts.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
There is a #12 circuit ran from a 20A circuit breaker to a junction box. From this junction box there are #16AWG spliced to run to each light bulb?
If this is branch-circuit wiring, it's a no. If it's fixture wiring, you may have an out.

What kind of wire are we talking about, and what (if anything) is it contained within?

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
The application is part of a branch circuit. There is a 120V branch circuit feeding several lights. There is a #12 circuit ran from a 20A circuit breaker to a junction box. From this junction box there are #16AWG spliced to run to each light bulb?
IMHO, if those #16s are a fixture wire and part of the fixture, then it meets 240.5(B)(2). Otherwise (such as a field installation external to the fixture) no
What if the entire branch circuit from the OCPD was a #16 which fed all of the lights?
?
Then 10 amp OCP would be needed per 240.4(D0(2)
How was that "rating" determined ? How were the cords marked ?
You might look at 240.5(B)(3)

jwjrw

I could be wrong dont have my code book should know without it ,but I dont think that is legal on a lighting circuit.

raider1

Staff member
I could be wrong dont have my code book should know without it ,but I dont think that is legal on a lighting circuit.

If it is a fixture tap with fixture wire then 240.5(B)(2) permits #16 AWG to be connected to a 20 amp breaker provided that the tap conductors are not longer than 100'.

Chris

jwjrw

What would be a situation where you would want to tap a 16ga wire onto a twenty amp circuit,even if it is allowed? Just asking.

jwjrw

And when you say if its fixture wire that sounds like it would have to be in a fixture. Im confused once again....

raider1

Staff member
What would be a situation where you would want to tap a 16ga wire onto a twenty amp circuit,even if it is allowed? Just asking.

Have you ever used a 2X4 Troffer fixture with a factory whip? They are typically #16 AWG or sometimes #18.

You can also order fixture whips in various lengths from different manufactures that come with #18 or #16 AWG wire.

Chris

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.