replacement receptacles

Status
Not open for further replies.

elecmen

Occupation
Electrician
See as the 2008 edition of the NEC now requires tamper proof receptacles in new installations a question comes up with what to replace an existing receptacle with? Say as I have a box of regular receptacles left in my truck and don't want to throw them out is it acceptable by code to be able to use them for replacements? Wouldn't it be the same as replacing a 2 prong receptacle with a 2 prong receptacle?

jwjrw

Only in commercial bulidings here. I thought it said in all residential not just new construction.

raider1

Staff member
Right now the 2008 NEC is a little grey in the area of replacement receptacles where tamper resistant receptacles are required.

It appears that the 2011 NEC will clear it up, a new requirement will require that replacement receptacles be tamper resistant in areas that require tamper resistant receptacles for new construction.

See ROP 18-24.

Chris

jwjrw

Our ahj must be wearing glasses that let them see the light instead of grey since that see it that way now.

volt101

The problem that creates the confusion on whether or not a tamper resistant receptacle is required while doing a replacement is blamed on Ground Fault Circuit Interrupters. Follow me here...

406.3(D) is a list of requirements that must be followed while doing a replacement of a receptacle. This book states a specific requirement that mandates GFCI where replacements are made at receptacle outlets that are required to be so protected elsewhere in the Code.

We do not have that specific directive for Tamper-Resistant Receptacles. Since the code is silent on that does that mean that we don't have to provide them? IMO, that is exactly it - We don't.

The other side to this is that those inspectors who do not see it that way will continue to cite 406.11.

I say delete 406.3(D)(2) in the 2014 book.

cpal

The problem that creates the confusion on whether or not a tamper resistant receptacle is required while doing a replacement is blamed on Ground Fault Circuit Interrupters. Follow me here...

406.3(D) is a list of requirements that must be followed while doing a replacement of a receptacle. This book states a specific requirement that mandates GFCI where replacements are made at receptacle outlets that are required to be so protected elsewhere in the Code.

We do not have that specific directive for Tamper-Resistant Receptacles. Since the code is silent on that does that mean that we don't have to provide them? IMO, that is exactly it - We don't.

The other side to this is that those inspectors who do not see it that way will continue to cite 406.11.
I say delete 406.3(D)(2) in the 2014 book.

If the 08 required trs for replacements it would not have brought this new language into the 2011 draft
406.4(D)
(5) Tamper-Resistant Receptacles.​
Listed tamperresistant
receptacles shall be provided where replacements
are made at receptacle outlets that are required to be
tamper-resistant elsewhere in this
Code.[ROP 18-24]

Status
Not open for further replies.