Haitian Power Grid

Status
Not open for further replies.

SC1959

I want to say thanks for any help in advance.

Does anyone have any info on the architecture of the Haitian power grid? Generation means. Transmission Voltages, Household voltages. Generator and Control types (GE Mark 6) ?. Any info or sources would be helpful.

Thanks Again, Steve

Regularkevin

Most of the generation infrastructure in Haiti is very old and costly to maintain and operate. In 2006, total installed capacity was only 270 MW, of which about 70% was thermal and 30% hydroelectric. There are currently three large thermal plants and one hydroelectric plant serving the metropolitan area and some smaller thermal and hydroelectric plants in the provinces. The most important plants are:
  • P?ligre, an hydroelectric plant with 54 MW of installed capacity. However, its actual power varies between 30 MW in the rainy season and 10 MW in the dry one.
  • Carrefour, a 50 MW thermal plant with just 12 MW of actually available capacity.
  • Varreux 1 and 2, two thermal plants with installed capacities of 33 MW and 21 MW respectively which can just provide 12.5 MW

The large difference between installed and available capacity stems from serious maintenance deficiencies which have led, for example, to just one quarter of hydroelectric capacity to be available. The repairs carried out in Varreux and Carrefour should allow for 15 MW of additional capacity.
Generation in 2003 was 550 GWh, with 54% coming from thermal sources and the remaining from hydroelectric ones.

In 2003, total electricity consumption in Haiti was 510 GWh,[6] Average per capita consumption in 2004 was 75 kWh, the lowest in the LAC region. The share for each sector is as follows:[2]
  • Residential: 60%
  • Industrial : 20%
  • Transport : 15%
  • Services : 5%

The Haitian electricity sector has a national installed capacity that is largely insufficient to meet a demand of 157 MW in Port au Prince and of 550 MW at the national level. This electricity shortage has created a situation in which tens of thousands of households and institutions (e.g. hospitals, schools) have to rely on their own diesel generators and as a result spend large portions of their income on fuel to run those generators. In order to partially address this deficit, the government has signed contracts with Sogener, a private power supplier, for a total of about 65 MW

480sparky

I think as of tonight, the vast majority of generation capabilities will be provided courtesy of the US Navy.... the two nuclear reactors on board the Carl Vinson.

SegDog

Island Power

Island Power

One would think that Haiti, like other remote places, would have an abundance of solar powered energy and water.

With all of the billions spent their on revitalization, I haven't seen one sign of this technology. Understood that with the crime problem, It's possible that whatever they put up gets stolen. Humm..., sounds like my own area.

Status
Not open for further replies.