putting control relays in a panel

Status
Not open for further replies.

aaron4998

what are the violations and the code article to support this and is there a violation with bringing 208 volt into a 480 panel if so what is the article for this as well

volt101

In order for the inspector to approve the installation regardless if in a dry or wet location he/she must follow 110.3.

110.3(A) basically requires destructive testing. How else does the inspector test for heating effects under normal conditions of use and also under abnormal conditions likely to arise in service? How does the inspector test for arcing effects?

110.3(B) is just so much easy for the inspector. He/She can keep their feet up on their desk while some other inspector does their work. :)

icefalkon

A company I worked for rewired a large NY area newspapers presses a few years back. Every one of these enormous Goss presses has a control panel similiar to the picture shown. We wired them exactly as the Goss engineer instructed and all thought there must be something wrong with allowing it but apparently...

As long as the unit is a Control Panel, is listed for use as such, and labeled with the two voltages it is perfectly legal.

nhfire77

I predict that a NRTL will be coming by soon.

I see a bunch of devices installed in a box. If this requires NRTL testing, so would putting a relay or a contactor in a box that it didn't come it.

If a relay, contactor, timer etc is sold without an enclosure (cabinet), and I install it in an one, I have to get it tested? Ridiculous.

Nothing wrong with this picture off the cuff, albeit a little messy, IMO.

Last edited:
In regards to the voltage of the conductor insulation, 300.3(C).

In regards to the listing requirements for this type of installation, there is no listing required, yet. Check out Article 409.
Also UL has a Standard for this - Standard 508

pfalcon

Looks like a control panel. On the first blush I see no violation.

Poor design and workmanship.

Should use a terminal strip to reduce the "spaghetti" factor.
Fuses should be grouped together.
The protective ground is suspicious as to whether it is bonded as it should be.
I don't see a subplate.

NFPA 79 probably applies better than NFPA 70 for this application but is not required.

iwire

Staff member
Here is one I added for some lighting control.

000_0339.jpg

HCContactor.jpg

RETRAINDAILY

here in Arizona they will not let you even built a lighting contractor box any more unless you are a 508 shop. other wise you have to buy a premade job.
He passed me but they are starting enforcing that more.
From what the Phx. inspector has said

Status
Not open for further replies.