Passing cable through a bulkhead in Div1 area

Status
Not open for further replies.

dtl2009

Hello,

I am a long time lurker, but a first time poster! I am working on a project for a FSO (floating storage and offload) barge which stores crude oil. I have some equipment to install in the Division 1 area and need a way to pass an appropriately rated cable through a steel bulkhead. One side of the bulkhead is C1D1 rated and the other is a safe area. Any thoughts on the right way to do this? I am kind of envisioning a "myers hub-esque" fitting with a cable gland on each side of the bulkhead.

Thanks,
Dave

tesi1

bulkhead

bulkhead

all you need is a listed bulkhead fitting, try t & b, oz gedney, they look
just like a doublesided meyers hub.

jdsmith

It sounds like you need a boundary seal as you transition through the bulkhead? I'm not sure base on your explanation. If so a Crouse Hinds TMCX fitting could be used.

dtl2009

Hello All,

Thanks for the replies so far. I am comfortable with properly sealing the wiring using a gland and TMCX cable, my larger concern is sealing the two areas. I have yet to find a bulkhead that is listed C1D1 from the suggested suppliers. I essentially have a steel wall dividing C1D1 area from a unrated area and I don't want to create a path for the passing of flammable gasses.

-Dave

kameele

we do a lot of work in propane/air peak shaving plants. the room where the mixing takes place is rated Div 1 and is usually immediately adjacent to the control room (non-hazardous). what is historically done for conduit penetrations is to have a steel plate set in the vapor-proof wall and close nipples welded on each side of the plate with a seal screwed on the Div 1 side. definitely effective, but not sure if exactly to code.

getting cable through as cable on both sides would be a little more problematic. I've done the same looking for a Div 1 bulkhead without any luck.

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
... but not sure if exactly to code.
Welding metal raceways is specifically prohibited. [See 300.18(B)]

The key is recognizing that, in the application described so far, we do not need to make the bulkhead "explosionproof;" rather, we simply need to maintain the fire rating of the bulkhead.

I assume the "appropriately rated cable" is MC-HL since we are talking TMCX. With a proper fire rated bulkhead assembly with appropriate vapor sealing, the cables only need to be sealed at their regular enclosure terminations; no boundary seals are required.

Last edited:
Hello,

I am a long time lurker, but a first time poster! I am working on a project for a FSO (floating storage and offload) barge which stores crude oil. I have some equipment to install in the Division 1 area and need a way to pass an appropriately rated cable through a steel bulkhead. One side of the bulkhead is C1D1 rated and the other is a safe area. Any thoughts on the right way to do this? I am kind of envisioning a "myers hub-esque" fitting with a cable gland on each side of the bulkhead.

Thanks,
Dave

Just what the doctor ordered:):http://www.roxtec.com/the-roxtec-solution/

Thanks for the suggestion Laszlo. One thing to make sure you are doing is to check if there it is a fire rated bulkhead. I work for roxtec and as Laszlo metioned its a great application for a our product..as long as you are just passing the cable through it shouldn't be a problem to use a transit. If you need some assistance in figuring out what you need feel free to PM me

Last edited:

ohmhead

Well heres a ready made stuffing tube

bolt-on.jpg

used for passing cables thur bulkheads decks or beams aboard ships its fire rated and water tight . IEEE SEC 10.7

Electrical installastions on shipboard std 45 -1998 .

And yes in the navy every conduit fitting is welded to panel and bulkhead and packed but we used stuffing tubes these were steel tubes welded in place and stuffed with the same stuff in Laszlos post or a torqued bolt pipe gasket .

Last edited:
Well heres a ready made stuffing tube

bolt-on.jpg

used for passing cables thur bulkheads decks or beams aboard ships its fire rated and water tight . IEEE SEC 10.7

Electrical installastions on shipboard std 45 -1998 .

And yes in the navy every conduit fitting is welded to panel and bulkhead and packed but we used stuffing tubes these were steel tubes welded in place and stuffed with the same stuff in Laszlos post or a torqued bolt pipe gasket .

One thing to note..ABS (American Bureau of Shipping) no longer accepts stuffing tubes as a fire rated bulkhead penetration device. This change has come down in the past 5 years.

ohmhead

One thing to note..ABS (American Bureau of Shipping) no longer accepts stuffing tubes as a fire rated bulkhead penetration device. This change has come down in the past 5 years.

Well i left the Navy in 1972 so its been a while but this post is really not a NEC post at all.

Ship or vessels its kinda a US Coast Guard IEEE CODE thing dont you think comments ? ART 90 does not cover ships watercraft other floating buildings ect ect

We never use abs it was all about steel tubes welded but i think today its all about fiber glass and pleasure boats online thats all i could fined for a example of. But how would you fire stop a fiber glass 200 million dollar boat?

Last edited:

dtl2009

Thanks for all the idea's guys, this is exactly why I asked the question here! The particular application in question is located in Africa and owned by a major oil company so even though the UL/CSA code isn't legally binding it is the defacto standard for things like wiring practices.

I hope I can contribute back and help the way you folks have helped me.

-Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.