Intent of 250.24(a)(1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

mark32

Let's say you are doing the service on a residential dwelling. The location of the meter and desired location of the load center makes it necessary to utilize a main disconnect out near the meter. 250.24(a)(1) says (In my opinion) to run the GEC's from this main service disconnect to their respective GE's and not originate elsewhere, ie, the sub panel. Does anyone agree or disagree?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Let's say you are doing the service on a residential dwelling. The location of the meter and desired location of the load center makes it necessary to utilize a main disconnect out near the meter. 250.24(a)(1) says (In my opinion) to run the GEC's from this main service disconnect to their respective GE's and not originate elsewhere, ie, the sub panel. Does anyone agree or disagree?
That is correct. The GEC must come from the service equipment.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
almost agree.... the connection can be made anywhere from the service drop or lateral to the first disconnect.
In general, it can not be made beyond that 1st disconnect (service disconnect)

elohr46

I agree with this.

Status
Not open for further replies.