Floor box suggestion

Status
Not open for further replies.

e57

What is the Shallowest - LISTED Floor outlet box you know of? Got a TI in a highrise - no cutting and only got 1 3/4" infront of fixed panel glazing.... No walls close..... Need 210.52 coverage or a variance.... :roll:

e57

ti = tenent improvement
High rise type building - ya know them post tention slabs where no one wants to cut or chip...
But for some reason the NFPA wants outlets that no one else does...
But gents like you and I have to either do it, or talk some inspector out of it...

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
The only thing I can think of is a Wiremold box, with the channel run on the floor along the stationary panel, to wherever it will be fed.

Of course, a pic or ten would be helpful. ;)

cadpoint

There are firms that will come in a take an x-ray picture, thats the only safe way to go, if it such a most go situation.

Thomas & Betts seems to come up a lot, I think I'd call their rep.
Model E971FBDI-2 Drop, is very simplistic one.

e57

Can't cut the floor even if x-rayed... And I doubt 5200 wiremold is rated/listed for floor use.... I'm tempted to use a handy box, some EMT and 'antique it' - call it existing.... ;) Anyone know when 314.27C was added so i know which period fittings to use???? :roll:

cadpoint

I frankly can't beleive that you'd be allowed to preceed otherwise with out x-rays.

Post tense in SF, ok Rock on!

Walk away...

What Do I know...

Oh, they bunch them up on the Columns...

Last edited:

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
... I doubt 5200 wiremold is rated/listed for floor use....
I was picturing 500 series and one of those Wiremold boxes that comes with a receptacle and cover. Or, a shallow box and metal plate if you prefer shallower.

Added: It's WM part # V57243G

Last edited:

Volta

Can't cut the floor even if x-rayed... And I doubt 5200 wiremold is rated/listed for floor use.... I'm tempted to use a handy box, some EMT and 'antique it' - call it existing.... ;) Anyone know when 314.27C was added so i know which period fittings to use???? :roll:

1971:370-17(b) Floor boxes especially approved for the purpose shall be used for receptacles located in the floor.

Similar wording today, though listed rather than approved.

But the handy box would not be in the floor. On the floor is not covered in 2008: 314.27. Handy box should pass, though might rather see RMC and FS box.

e57

Wow - someones digging up some old threads... :roll: Anyway the stone floor was upped 3/4" - hogged out on the butter side, and the cover of a floor box - modifed - "persuaded" with a 5# sledge and a block of wood to be an 1/8" lower. :cool: (The steel plate holding the ring is now 'slightly' concaved...)

Status
Not open for further replies.