Baseboard heaters under receptacle outlets

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know its only a FPN in the NEC, but is there any specific number of how many inches or feet a baseboard heater cannot be placed under a receptacle outlet?? Cant seem to locate any 'specific' number. Is it in the UL??

Ive seen some new heaters installed that seems that the receptacle is about 8 inches above the heater. I think this is wrong, just for the sake of the cord draping over the heater. any help would be appreciated

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
That is only electric baseboard heat and usually you will only find it in manual for the baseboard heat not the NEC.
I totally agree here. This is not an NEC issue but rather the directive of the installation instructions that come with electric baseboard heaters.

When I installed BB Heaters 20 years or so ago I used a kit that fit into the first 4 inches of the heater. This cap had a receptacle. You had to provide a 240 as well as a 120 volt circuit.

Here is what it looked like.
TPI_3900RECC.jpg

Last edited:

fishin' electrician

I haven't done many electric BB heaters, but the last time I did about 5 years ago, I had a new apprentice with me and thought it would be a good idea to teach him about this very circumstance. I could not find anything in the documentation, on the box or on the heater itself that said anything about installing them under receptacles :mad:. I checked all the boxes just in case. The apprentice thought I was full of it.

kbsparky

I searched online once a few years ago for the same info. There were 2 electric baseboard heating companies that did not have the receptacle placement restriction. I cannot remember which ones though.

I think that Intertherm units with the sealed-liquid-filled elements do not have the restriction. They simply don't get hot enough at any one point to be a hazard to cords hanging on the units.

Status
Not open for further replies.