Hot tub

Status
Not open for further replies.

sm8100r

There's an existing hot tub that is getting moved 5' so they can access it directly from the deck. The current disco is about 2 feet away. After it gets moved it will be just over 5' and within sight. It's on a 40amp 2 pole from the main panel, runs in 6/3 nm over to a jbox where it transfers to #6 thhn, including the ground and then out to a disconnect with a 2 pole 50 gfci breaker.

I saw the spec sheet and the instructions. The spec sheet says a 30 amp breaker but the instructions (for 3 models of tub) say 50 amp with #6 conductors. It doesn't mention the ground specifically, just says conductors. Does it have to be specified or does that mean all #6's, period?

I'm not sure why the spec sheet says 30 amps but the instructions say 50. I'd say the instruction book is what the manufacturer wants. I should have looked inside the tub but I didn't.

My next problem is the fish pond that is a foot away from the tub. What needs to be done about that and the surrounding area of the tub for equal potential? The outlet supplying the pond will be over 10' away also. Right now it's not..

I'm curious if the way it's wired now, with the 40amp breaker feeding into a 50 amp gfci, will that gfci work as intended?

Thanks for any help and input.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
There's an existing hot tub that is getting moved 5' so they can access it directly from the deck. The current disco is about 2 feet away. After it gets moved it will be just over 5' and within sight. It's on a 40amp 2 pole from the main panel, runs in 6/3 nm over to a jbox where it transfers to #6 thhn, including the ground and then out to a disconnect with a 2 pole 50 gfci breaker.

This sounds correct. 5' is sufficient for the disco but the original install was not code compliant.

I saw the spec sheet and the instructions. The spec sheet says a 30 amp breaker but the instructions (for 3 models of tub) say 50 amp with #6 conductors. It doesn't mention the ground specifically, just says conductors. Does it have to be specified or does that mean all #6's, period?

I'm not sure why the spec sheet says 30 amps but the instructions say 50. I'd say the instruction book is what the manufacturer wants. I should have looked inside the tub but I didn't.
I can only assume this tub comes in either 30amp or 50 amp configurations. You will probably need to see the nameplate or look online if you have the model number of the tub.

My next problem is the fish pond that is a foot away from the tub. What needs to be done about that and the surrounding area of the tub for equal potential? The outlet supplying the pond will be over 10' away also. Right now it's not..
Well when you move the tub you may be required to follow the new rules for equipotential bonding and that will depend on which code cycle you are using. You need to read art. 680.26 and I will warn you it is not an easy read.

I'm curious if the way it's wired now, with the 40amp breaker feeding into a 50 amp gfci, will that gfci work as intended?
This will not affect the functioning of the GFCI assuming it was wired properly to begin with.

Jim W in Tampa

The gfi will work. I would look at this as a new install and comply with the 05 or 08 that your now on. And don't forget about the 120 volt receptacle that is required

sm8100r

Under the 08 code. It's not getting inspected but that doesn't matter. The reason I didn't look at the inside of the pump was that I opened the jbox in the basement where they junctioned the romex and as I pulled the first wire down it blew up in my face. The guy must have run out of tape because the copper coming out of the split bolt was exposed. The hair on my hand looks like a brillo pad now. I was a little frazzled after that.

Searching here today was the first I heard about a grid around hot tubs so I have some reading to do. Glad to hear the gfi is ok. This things been installed for a couple years I think. What about bonding the fish pond? Stick a skimmer plate with a solid #8 in it? The pump and heater that are in it are plastic

Thanks,

Article 90.1

It's not getting inspected but that doesn't matter.

It will get inspected when the electrocution investigation begins. No inspection is why the wiring was such a mess before you got there.

I'm sure you'll do fine work and all, but I'm sorry, if it is an installation that touches article 680, you had better bet an inspector will green sticker it before I'm done.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
if it is an installation that touches article 680, you had better bet an inspector will green sticker it before I'm done.

This will not absolve you of any responsibilities. I have met many inspectors who know a lot less than I do -- I also have met some that know more than I ever will. :)

sm8100r

They don't want to have the entire run redone or anything inspected so I'm going to walk away. Mentality is that it's worked for years, it's just moving, so whats the problem. I'm not clear on how to handle the equipotential of the surrounding area either. I've got some reading and research to do.

Thanks for the advice,

Jim W in Tampa

They don't want to have the entire run redone or anything inspected so I'm going to walk away. Mentality is that it's worked for years, it's just moving, so whats the problem. I'm not clear on how to handle the equipotential of the surrounding area either. I've got some reading and research to do.

Thanks for the advice,
I think i would pass this info onto the EI in that area in a nice pass the buck method. How will you feel if a few months or years down the road you hear about an electricution. They will find a hack or handyman to do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.