Interesting question - part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

jwjrw

Id say no. The definition of a single receptacle is just that a single recep on 2 yokes.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I think art 100 def of a receptacle spells it out clear.
I suspect you are correct but I would never agree that the intent of art. 210.21(B)(1) would be to install a 15 amp recep. break the tabs and wire it with a 20 amp circuit.

jwjrw

I suspect you are correct but I would never agree that the intent of art. 210.21(B)(1) would be to install a 15 amp recep. break the tabs and wire it with a 20 amp circuit.

I agree The definition of a single receptacle is a single contact device with no other contact device on the same yoke. Which wouldnt have tabs to break. And it says in 210.21(b)(1) that the recep shall have a rating not less than the branch circuit.

jwjrw

So one receptacle is on one of the yokes...what's on the other yoke?

I was told the "yoke" was where the attachment sercw for the device is. A single recep is the only contact device on 2 yokes.

Last edited by a moderator:

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
My unerstanding of the word "yoke" is that a standard duplex receptacle, with its two places to use screws to attach it to an outlet box, comprises a single yoke.

jwjrw

My unerstanding of the word "yoke" is that a standard duplex receptacle, with its two places to use screws to attach it to an outlet box, comprises a single yoke.

Charlie when counting box fill dont you count each device yoke 2 times? Ie each screw is a yoke?

jaylectricity

Occupation
licensed journeyman electrician
Charlie when counting box fill dont you count each device yoke 2 times? Ie each screw is a yoke?

:grin: Yes you do count it twice, but it has nothing to do with the screws. The yoke is the strap that the device is mounted on. It counts as two in your box fill calculations because they needed a standard cubic volume that was an average of the actual volumes of your various receptacles, switches, GFIs, etc. Otherwise, every device would have to have it's volume printed on it, and there isn't much room to print anything else on them as it is.

pfalcon

Yoke comes from that same word used to harness several animals together to pull a single load. The "Yoke" is actually the piece that holds the two receptacles together as a unit. Breaking the tabs does not create a second yoke. The number of fasteners (screws) used to attach the yoke is not relevant.

480sparky

AKA Strap.

strap.jpg

jwjrw

:grin: Yes you do count it twice, but it has nothing to do with the screws. The yoke is the strap that the device is mounted on. It counts as two in your box fill calculations because they needed a standard cubic volume that was an average of the actual volumes of your various receptacles, switches, GFIs, etc. Otherwise, every device would have to have it's volume printed on it, and there isn't much room to print anything else on them as it is.[/QU

I can accept that however the definition of a single receptacle does say 1 contact device on the yoke. If thats the definition then you would have no tabs to cut and that ends the argument of whether or not you could use a duplex recep.

jaylectricity

Occupation
licensed journeyman electrician
I can accept that however the definition of a single receptacle does say 1 contact device on the yoke. If thats the definition then you would have no tabs to cut and that ends the argument of whether or not you could use a duplex recep.

It's a good point. I don't see the harm in breaking the tab on a 20 amp receptacle and putting two separate 20 amp circuits on it, but I'm not sure it would be code compliant.

pfalcon

?noun
1. a device for joining together a pair of draft animals, esp. oxen, usually consisting of a crosspiece with two bow-shaped pieces, each enclosing the head of an animal. Compare harness (def. 1).
2. a pair of draft animals fastened together by a yoke: five yoke of oxen.
7. something that couples or binds together; a bond or tie.
8. Machinery. a viselike piece gripping two parts firmly together.
12. (in an airplane) a double handle, somewhat like a steering wheel in form, by which the elevators are controlled.

Not a strap; Not the metal thingies on the ends; Not the screws; Not the metal thingies the screws go into.

The yoke is the structural element that holds and supports the entire assembly. Cutting the tab does not alter the yoke in any fashion whatsoever. There is only one yoke on a duplex receptacle.

Cutting the tab does not create two single yokes. Cutting the tab electrically isolates the two yoked receptacles so that they can be wired separately. The receptacles remain on the same yoke.

It is also the yellow center of an egg which should not be broken by anyone except the customer unless he ordered it scrambled or broken. It's his egg - it's his right to break it.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
That has nothing to do with it because a single recep. would still require a count of 2 for box fill. Not sure where you were going with this.

jwjrw

That has nothing to do with it because a single recep. would still require a count of 2 for box fill. Not sure where you were going with this.

I was trying poorly to point out a single receptacle is intended to be just that. 1 contact device. A duplex with the tabs cut does not meet the definition. I always counted the duplex as 2 as in 1 yoke each recep. Once again I learned something thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.