Maximum Transformer Ratio?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MD88

Hello,

Does anyone know if there is a maximum voltage ratio on a transformer in the code? For example, I'm looking for a 72kV/480V, 1MVA transformer, but I'm not having much luck.

Thanks!

mivey

Hello,

Does anyone know if there is a maximum voltage ratio on a transformer in the code? For example, I'm looking for a 72kV/480V, 1MVA transformer, but I'm not having much luck.

Thanks!
Any reason you can't stack units? I don't know why the code would get involved in a max size as I'm sure you could spec whatever you wanted for a custom build.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
This would not be a code concern. If you are having trouble finding what you want, it may simply be that there is not enough demand to cause the manufacturers to include this rating in their standard line. Have you spoken with any manufacturers? Do they offer a custom build? Would your customer be willing to pay for custom build? If not, you may need to look for another solution. For example, using two step-down transformers, instead of one, may prove to be a cheaper way to get what you need., even though it involves more components, including additional breakers or panelboards, and even though it is less energy-efficient.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
OK. I see you were thinking along the same lines. I just didn't know what you meant by "stacking." Thanks for clearing that up.

MD88

Thanks guys! I think I'm going to go the 72/4.16kV then 4.16kV/480V for simplicity and ease of replacement.

Thanks

templdl

Think of it this way, 1mva @ 72kv is 8.03a. What would the primary wire size be for that ampacity? Can a manufacturer wind that small of a wire? Then it would have to be insulated for that voltage, then you have to consider the BIL rating on top of that.
Is it practical?
If a transformer manufacturer would make it it would be liquid

Status
Not open for further replies.