Kitchen Island Receptacle through Slab

Status
Not open for further replies.

frank_n

I have to channel through a slab in order to feed receptacles for an island. Since the circuit will be GFCI protected, I believe I can use Column 4 of Table 300.5. According to the table, (under a building) has a clearance of 0. If this is the part of the table I can use, I can run a 3/4" PVC just under the slab and sleeve it with UF.

Anyone see any problems with this?

Frank

Jim W in Tampa

In FL we been doing it this way for many many years and always passed. Most don't even use UF, just romex. It is tecnically outside of the building but normally very dry.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Doesn't "under the building" require at least 2" of concrete?

Nonetheless, I have used PVC in a shallow channel in the concrete for the same purpose, but I did use UF for the sleeved section anyway.

dcspector

Since it's a slab (no basement) wouldn't it be considered "under the building"?

Frank

Yes Frank it is. My post #3 was (as I mentioned earlier) a brain dead comment.....I was out in left field or some bodies field..all I know I was not "outstanding in my field"..:grin: Your install is cool. Sorry I was thinking of something different.

jxofaltrds

Inspector Mike®
Occupation
ESI, PI, RBO
That area better be underground and out of building or we have a problem with many services that have been ran from meter can under slab to a MB panel in the middle of the building.

Jim

I am not sure that I understand you.

He is in the interior of the building if I read his post correctly.

Edit: He said "channel". So I think that he is inside the structure.

Last edited:

Jim W in Tampa

Jim

I am not sure that I understand you.

He is in the interior of the building if I read his post correctly.

Edit: He said "channel". So I think that he is inside the structure.

here is what i read
"I can run a 3/4" PVC just under the slab and sleeve it with UF."
yes if actually in the slab then we have something else and that might be stuctual issue

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Are you just making a shallow groove in the concrete deep enough for the raceway? If so you'll only need to be deep enough to conceal the raceway. Table 300.5 would not apply.

Status
Not open for further replies.