how to wire a conveyor furnace

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm unsure about how to go about handling this. I was given the following info, 33kw, 230v, 3ph. The service provided is 3 ph. 240/120. I can't find a nameplate anywhere on the machine. I spoke to the sales rep for the furnace and he sd that is all the info he has to provide. What calculations should I use to figure out what wire size to use.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
If your inspector works with you ask him to take a look at it and flag it on 409.10 (assuming it has a control panel). Then when the manufacturer complies you will have your FLA :)

If the 33kw load was all heat you would have about 80 amps per phase (assuming it's evenly distributed) but since you said "conveyor" oven are there motors involved also ?

Last edited:

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
If your inspector works with you ask him to take a look at it and flag it on 409.10 (assuming it has a control panel). Then when the manufacturer complies you will have your FLA :)

If the 33kw load was all heat you would have about 80 amps per phase (assuming it's evenly distributed) but since you said "conveyor" oven are there motors involved also ?
I like the flagging idea, because not only did they not provide you with the proper information, but from the description (kW rating instead of HP) I would be highly suspicious that it is an IEC motor, meaning it was designed to operate at 50Hz. That will pose additional problems for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.